ABB ACS 600 Issue

LD_Boy

Hi all,

I have an ABB ACS 600 drive which I am having issues with.

The motor runs a platform down to a position then indexes back up to the start during the sequence.

The drive runs a 22KW motor with an encoder attached. Under normal operation I can run the motor in manual, forwards or reverse or start the auto sequence.

When I reset the circuit the motor drives straight away, in manual or auto without pressing any buttons. I'm not getting any inputs from the PLC to permit the inverter to drive and no faulty buttons.

Here's the thing, when the motor drives it drives the platform down. I decided to swap 2 phases from the output of the inverter and reboot the inverter to drive the motor back up to its starting position.

When I swap the phases, the motor does not drive at all and I am able to operate the motor in manual. I can raise and lower the platform, albeit the raise and lower button work opposite, but it can be operated.

I'm not asking for someone to fault find my initial issue but the swapping the phases has got me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not a drives expert, hopefully others will chip in, but here are some thoughts.
When I reset the circuit the motor drives straight away, in manual or auto without pressing any buttons. I'm not getting any inputs from the PLC to permit the inverter to drive and no faulty buttons.
Are you sure that the drive is driving and it isn't just gravity that is causing the platform to drop.

When I swap the phases, the motor does not drive at all and I am able to operate the motor in manual. I can raise and lower the platform, albeit the raise and lower button work opposite, but it can be operated.
That doesn't surprise me, the encoder is then giving a backwards signal, and I would hope that the drive is set to recognise the condition.

Thanks for the reply Bryan.

It is definitely driving down.

After further investigation I'm focusing on the encoder. I just can't get my head around how the encoder can induce a signal to start the drive.

I have disconnected the encoder completely and the platform does not drive on its own and I can drive the platform up and down in manual.

Going to change the encoder.

Once again, thanks for your time and help.

Ralph

ACS600 doesn't seem to have position control so I don't think it will be trying to Home itself. It does have Speed and Torque control. I know you have disconnected the digital inputs, do you have any Bus connections, Modbus etc?

Is this a new machine?
Is it an old machine with a new problem?

No bus connections just direct inputs from the PLC and the PLC is not giving any outputs.

In the morning the encoder cable will be tested and also the encoder itself.

It's certainly an old machine with a new problem. The inverter was due to be changed 3 weeks ago but the money never got sanctioned in time and now its failed. 3rd time it has been down to be changed and cancelled.

That's what you get when your run by accountants and not engineers :)

You can see what digital inputs it thinks it is getting by looking at Group 1 Parameter 17, if that is different from the actual signal you have found your problem.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/e73a248eea58d365c2256def0049196e/EN_600stdprg_FWmanual.pdf

We have also had some lightening storms recently which can screw up device internal memories, it might be worth going through Group 10, to see what it is using for Start/Stop. In fact if you are going to replace the drive it would be worth getting a list of all settings. It takes a quite a while and is a lot easier using a laptop with ABB software connected to the drive.