Extract Utility for ML1100

SAK-CO TECH

Looking for any insight on this particular problem.

I have, at the customers site, a ML1100 connected via the customers network. I am logging two values (pH and flow) every half hour to the ML1100 and then via connection with RSLinx the customer can "call up" the logged data with the Data Extract Utility. With the extract utility, you poll the controller and it will bring in the data to the extract utility which you can then write the data to excel from within the utility.

When I was completed with the project, everything worked perfectly with my laptop tied into their network. We loaded everything just fine onto one of their local computers (RSLinx and Data Extract) and had everything working just fine when I was at the location. A day later I get a call that the extract utility would not work (bring up the data). I finally figured out that they were having an intermittant address collision with another device on the network. So, back to communicating with no problem once they changed the address of the offending device to something else. I only mention this in hopes that someone else will save some time with this particular issue.

Now to the problem, when the customer is using the data extract utility, the data is comes up fine but when they click on the "write data to excel file" menu item, the extract utility is "locking up". Their IT guy says it's the latest version of excel.

I have contacted Rockwell support and they could not create the problem (worked fine for them) and I could not create the problem with my test system here (works great).

It's fairly obvious that this problem is local to their machine(s). I will be going to the customers site tomorrow to try to resolve the problem so I was hoping for any "leads" or ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

I give up.. What is "Data Extract Utility" ?

Does the program cease to function after it has been running a while?

Does it work again (at all) if they close and restart it?

Does Linx show any errors?

Is the Excel workbook getting locked? Set to read only? Is it a shared network resource that someone opens up remotely?

Is there a dialog box that stupidly pops up BEHIND the application, which is modal, and waiting on user input? (Test by trying to move the application window when it is 'Locked Up')

Thanks for the reply rdast,

The "data logging tool" is the packaged Rockwell program that interfaces with both the ML1100 and ML1500. It can be found Here.

Does the program cease to function after it has been running a while?
The utility runs fine until clicking on "write to excel".

Does it work again (at all) if they close and restart it?
Yes

Does Linx show any errors?
No Errors, Linx runs perfectly

Is the Excel workbook getting locked? Set to read only? Is it a shared network resource that someone opens up remotely?
IT says excel is not locking, will check the read only tomorrow (good question) and they tell me that this is not a shared resource but I will verify this tomorrow.

Is there a dialog box that stupidly pops up BEHIND the application, which is modal, and waiting on user input? (Test by trying to move the application window when it is 'Locked Up')
Will also verify this tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

Okay, thanks for the info.. I just tried it here, and can't create a problem. That's leading me to believe that it is the installation.

Obviously, you need to check security privilages. Does it work only if logged in as an administrator?

Do they write to a NEW workbook every time?

Thanks again rdrast,

Obviously, you need to check security privilages. Does it work only if logged in as an administrator?
I brought this up to their IT guy and he assures me that you do not need to log in as an administrator but once again, I will verify this with my visit tomorrow.

Do they write to a NEW workbook every time?
Yes, the datalog program writes to a new workbook everytime.

Recap:

As was suspected, the problem was with the customers software. The IT guy thought he was doing me a favor by doing a clean install of Win XP and then reloading Linx and Datalogging Tool. It turns out that he did not reload all of the latest security updates and service packs with the clean install of Win XP.

As soon as I had their IT department do this, everything worked as it should.

Chris

/sigh Sounds familiar.

Just a word of advice, as it's something I normally do...
Basically, HMI systems, or datalogging systems, and the like are normally pretty clean when first installed, and they don't have 100GB of data... You can usually clone the HD onto one CD or DVD using something like Ghost (Symantec).

I've solved many problems by dropping in a new HDD, restoring the Ghost image to it, and proving that the original installtion was fine, so it must be something added later that broke it.

This is also one reason I despise (on an practical level, NOT on a technical level) Ethernet based I/O or Ethernet controlled devices/drives. Maybe not today, or next week, but at some time in the future an IT department will get involved and cause problems.

Good Tip!

I've solved many problems by dropping in a new HDD, restoring the Ghost image to it, and proving that the original installtion was fine, so it must be something added later that broke it.

I think a lot of us have had problems with IT departments. I will definitely use this for any future projects. All's not lost though... I charged a hefty backcharge once I proved that it was the customers problem!

Thanks for info rdrast.