You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old September 10th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Rob S.
United States

Dog Old Panelview to Panelview Plus

Good Afternoon ,

I have a project that I am getting ready to do to change over an old Panelview HMI over to a Panelview Plus 1500. I forget , what software was used to do an application on the old Panelviews ? Also , what is the best way to convert a old PanelView 550 Operator Interface 2711 to a 1500 Panelview Plus ? I don't believe there is any conversion software , correct ?

Thanks in advance ,
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #2
robo77
United States

Panelbuilder32 was the OLD software. Factory Talk Studio ME is the new software for the panelview+. I also believe there is a conversion tool.

http://literature.rockwellautomation...p001_-en-p.pdf
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Rob S.
United States

Thanks so much . I will print that out tomorrow.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #4
arlenjacobs
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

You're going from a 5" to a 15" terminal?!? those push buttons are going to look big.

Yes, FactoryTalk View Studio ME has the conversion built-in.
When you open Studio and are naming/creating a new project, click the import button on that same dialog. You can import either the PVA or PBA files.

You may want to use these options when you import:
- convert to new window size 1024x768
- "uncheck" scale graphic displays
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #5
yassine.sfaxien
Tunisia

you will need also to configure the communication setup in rslinx enterprise.

check in the pva file (open it with PanelBuilder 32) which type of communication was used and then create a new one in FTV ME.
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Rob S.
United States

Thanks. Also , I took notice that Tag addresses in PanelBuilder 32 have semicolons ( and need to be changed to colons ( for FactoryTalk View ME , and Tag Names in PanelBuilder 32 have dashes (-) and they need changed to underscores (_) for FactoryTalk View ME. Do I need to duplicate and re-name , or can I just go into Tag Editor and just backspace the semicolon and type in a colon , and do the same with the dash , and replace with a underscore , and just save the application ?

Thanks,
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #7
OkiePC
United States

Do you have Panelbuilder32?

If so, I would fix up the tag database there before importing. Actually, I would export it to excel, then use more powerful search and replace tools to make the addresses right, then import it back in, save it with a new filename, and then start the import process into FTView more cleanly.
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Rob S.
United States

Yes I do . I only have 113 tags in this application , and many do not need changed. I would not need to change them in any indicators , pushbuttons , etc. , they should be changed when I change them in the tag editor , correct ?
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #9
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
Yes I do . I only have 113 tags in this application , and many do not need changed. I would not need to change them in any indicators , pushbuttons , etc. , they should be changed when I change them in the tag editor , correct ?
No, actually when you change them in the tag editor, they will "break" wherever they're used, if I remember correctly. But still, dealing with tags in PB32 is much simpler than fussing around with the tag database in FTView Studio.
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Rob S.
United States

Thanks . In the tag Editor , Auto-1 , I changed to Auto_1. When I went to save it , I had a window come up......
"Tags have errors. Can't save any tag changes to database. save as draft ?"

In the message bar or cell , in the Tag Editor beside the tags in question it says " Duplicate Tag: Tag name exists in the same view or another view".

What could this mean ?

Thanks in advance,
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #11
OkiePC
United States

I think there is a place where you have to choose whether to allow the underscore or the dash in your tag names. Look under the main menu for an options list for tags...

Another thing that is a PITA with PB32, when you rename a tag, it actually does create a duplicate. So then you have to look for the tag you just renamed and delete it (look for the old name). I suspect that is why you get the "duplicate tag" message.

If I remember right, the tags you rename get added to the end of the list or don't show up at all until you close the editor and reopen it.

Last edited by OkiePC; September 19th, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Rob S.
United States

Thanks again. I think I know what I did wrong. I will try the conversion to the FactoryTalk View ME sometime this weekend . Is the conversion somewhat seamless from PanelBuilder 32 to FactoryTalk View.

Thanks Again for your help.
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #13
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
Is the conversion somewhat seamless from PanelBuilder 32 to FactoryTalk View.
Yes, unless...

Unless you have string tags or bit level alarms or a handful of other things going on.

If there are less than 250 tags and a dozen displays, it is almost easy as starting over with Crimson 3 and Red Lion hardware, but I digress...

There is a conversion guide that is a must read...lemme see if I can "Go ahead and Google it up" for ya.

EDIT:
http://literature.rockwellautomation...p001_-en-p.pdf

Last edited by OkiePC; September 19th, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Rob S.
United States

One more question. I was thrown into a project that has had many problems that I need to fix. Several PLCs networked together. I need to come up with a IP Address list of the ones already being used. This Panelview 600 I am changing out, I took notice that I cannot find the IP Address of the Panelview 600 in PanelBuilder 32 , just the SLC 500 that it is connected to. Does the old Panelview's ( EtherNet ) not have IP Addresses ?

Thanks,
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #15
OkiePC
United States

Yes, if it has ethernet, there will be an IP address. If it was connected to the PLC(s) by some other port, it may not matter. What is the complete part number of the old panelview?

If you are adding an ethernet device, before you "throw the juice to it" on the plant network, ping the IP address you expect to use and make sure that nothing is already out there to answer back.

I forget in PB32 where that IP address is set up, but with the Panelview plus, it is done from the unit itself in the configuration menu.

Last edited by OkiePC; September 19th, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum