Trouble with Symax50 Reading entire program from CPUI hope you folks can help us figu

NewsGazoo

We have a couple of Symax 50 controller with 4k CMAS RAM packs.
I hope you folks can help us figure out what is going on with our failed attempts to download the program from the memory pack to offline memory with our Symax 50 controllers. So far I have tried running the SFW50 on Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop in Windows 2000, Windows 95 and also booted directly into DOS from the Windows 95 Laptop. I also have tried from Pentium I 60 Mhz and Pentium II 400 Mhz desktop PC's both booting directly into DOS.

The original program on the 4k memory packs were programmed with the Symax 50 handheld programmer and the program is functioning correctly. Is it possible that the SFW50 program can't read the program in it's entirety due to incompatibility between the loader and the software?

The following
are the steps we are taking and the results:

1. Launch SFW50
2. Secure Level - Program
3. F2 - offline
4. F2 - Function
5. Change Memory Capacity (FUN1)
6. Change to 4K
7. F10 to load
8. ESC
9. F7 to transfer
10. F1 (CPU to offline memory)
11. F10 to enter
12. when uploading it is only showing 1024
13. once finished ESC
14. F1 for ladder
15. Message says "Program is displayable to rung 22 (at program address 116)

The program has 112 rungs and our memory packs say 4k. We are getting the same results on both our A and B controllers which are identical and regardless of the PC hardware used. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I could be entirely wrong so YMMV.
Just a quick thought, is the sfw50.exe and other two files, auto50.sqd and sfw.sec all located in the c:\ root directory (folder) or at least a directory (folder) named C:\sfw50 ?
After your step # 7, I would also try changing FUN61 to get a request for a 2nd F10 key entry.
You might also try SlowDos.exe to slow down your computer but that doesn't seem necessary since you can get connected well enough to do a partial transfer.
I would also suggest you get an old version of WindLDR and select the Idec plc model FA-2J as an alternative software, it is very close to the sfw50 and windows based. The addresses are different in some instances.

Edit:
It might just be that only the Hand Held Programmer can actually select the 1k or 4k option for the memory module even though the software shows the option.

Last edited:
The only other thought is that you may have to be online to save the whole program (4K) to your PC.

First off thanks for your suggestions!
1. I have sfw50.exe, auto50.sqd and sfw.sec all in the same directory C:\Symax50
2. I am not sure how to make FUN61 prompt for a second F10 entry
3. I have tried slowDOS with the same results.
4. We have an old version of WindLDR and have selected FA-2J, but it says there is a communications problem. I am using the cable we purchased for use with the SFW50 program which is a SC50S Smart Cable. Is it possible I need a FA-2J cable for this to work?
5. I was under the assumption that you had to be in offline to save the program?

One more thought I had during the night. Are you also switching the loader FUN1 to 4K memory jn addition to changing it in the SFW50 software?

Last edited:
One more idea. After step 11 in your post #1 did you press on the loader the following?
TRS, ENTR, ENTR.

I am using SFW50 software not the loader, so no. However I am finding out that it is quite possible that the 15 rules when programming with the Loader may not have been followed which might account for why the SFW50 program can't read the entire program. Does that make sense?

I started going through the 15 rules that must be followed for using SFW50 software and rule #3 was broken "All timers and counters must have an output". Rung 23 has a timer, but no output. It just so happens rung 22 is the last rung that could be displayed, which makes sense since rung 23 is broken.

First off thanks for your suggestions!
1. I have sfw50.exe, auto50.sqd and sfw.sec all in the same directory C:\Symax50
2. I am not sure how to make FUN61 prompt for a second F10 entry
3. I have tried slowDOS with the same results.
4. We have an old version of WindLDR and have selected FA-2J, but it says there is a communications problem. I am using the cable we purchased for use with the SFW50 program which is a SC50S Smart Cable. Is it possible I need a FA-2J cable for this to work?
5. I was under the assumption that you had to be in offline to save the program?

One more idea concerning item 4. You might try using a Null Modem adapter if you haven't already done so. The WindLDR software may be more forgiving of the rules. Just grasping at straws here, hoping something will help you. I also have found my PR-4 Model 50 Programmer/loader here but I don't know how I can help you with it.

Wow, Symax 50; haven't heard that since I left SqD before Scheider bought them. By the way, that PLC was actually made by Idec and they had an identical product at the time, they may have maintained support for it longer than SqD would have. Might be worth a call, but good luck finding anyone at Idec who was around at that time either.

1988 is calling and wants its PLC back... o_O

I contacted Idec and their response was less than helpful. The exact quote was "No idea"! Regarding the null modem adapter according to everything I have read the FA2J cable and the Symax 50 smart cable SC50S which we have are the same, so can't figure out why it can't communicate. I may play with that later, but for now I am going to fix the programming on rung 23 and see if that takes care of the display error I am getting. Thanks for everyone's help and I will post my results.

OT... sort of...

I cut my teeth on a SyMax 50 :)
There was a programming manual in the cabinet and I read and studied it cover to cover!

I bought a PR-4 off ebay and pulled the program, then upgraded to AD.

If all you need is a program, then you might try to borrow/buy a PR-4 and then upgrade the PLC.

Parts are out there (I have a few), but you can almost replace the PLC cheaper than repairing one.

my 2 cents...