Stratix 5700 Routing Help

sprek

Could anyone offer assistance on a problem I am having?

If a have a Stratix 5700 with Full Software and a vlan setup

should it work like this?

Switch ip 10.8.15.254

vlan set to 10.8.14.1

I have devices

should i be able to ping those with my laptop on 10.8.15.248 if so I am unable to get it to work

I tried to prepare some pictures and pdf of my setup. I am no network engineer so if anything looks completely wrong let me know

http://www.sprektech.com/images/NETWORK_.pdf

EXPRESS%20SETUP.jpg

PORT%20SETTINGS.jpg

ROUTING.jpg

SMARTPORT.jpg

TEMPLATE.jpg

vlan.jpg

First off, I assume you picked the Lanbase routing template in Device Management, otherwise this doesn't work. (I think you did cause you have the routing tab)

So, a device on 10.8.15.x that wants to talk to a device on 10.8.14.x needs either

A subnet mask that allows it, 255.255.254.0 being the least permissive way to do it, as Jax mentioned 255.255.0.0 would also work but is far more permissive.

Routing setup to allow the traffic through a gateway address either via a static or dynamic route.

And, since you've sent these up as separate VLANs, you need the VLANs to route.

Also, as Jax mentioned, you need to assign whichever port the 'native' VLAN you expect them to communicate on.

Last edited:
W/out a 'gateway' configured under the routing tab, it won't route anything.

Start w/ 0.0.0.0 as a 'route anything' option.

Can your PC on the 10.8.15.xxx network ping the network switch at 10.8.15.254? Also it needs to have 10.8.15.254 as its default gateway if it doesn't already.

You show ports 1 and 9 set up as "Switch for Automation" and connected to another network switch. Switch for Automation configures ports as a VLAN trunk. Those network switches will have to be managed switches with a compatible VLAN trunk configuration on the ports that connect to your Stratix.

They will communicate if you change all of your subnet masks as has been suggested, but then they will have to be on the same VLAN and the switch will not be doing any routing.

I don't think this is correct as long as the switch is only routing between directly connected networks, which seems to be the case here. The gateway is necessary for the management interface to communicate with networks that it is not directly connected to, and it tells the switch how to route traffic destined for networks not directly connected.

It wont let me enter the o.o.o.o on the routing screen i get an error (Error in gateway IP) looking at the manual it says leave blank. I think this must be for a earlier firmware

Ben Pugh said:
Can your PC on the 10.8.15.xxx network ping the network switch at 10.8.15.254? Also it needs to have 10.8.15.254 as its default gateway if it doesn't already.

I can ping 10.8.15.254 just fine. I also have the gateway entered into pc

Ben Pugh said:
CYou show ports 1 and 9 set up as "Switch for Automation" and connected to another network switch. Switch for Automation configures ports as a VLAN trunk. Those network switches will have to be managed switches with a compatible VLAN trunk configuration on the ports that connect to your Stratix.

They will communicate if you change all of your subnet masks as has been suggested, but then they will have to be on the same VLAN and the switch will not be doing any routing.

all my other switches are unmanaged except the 5700 is there a better smartport role I should be using

A subnet mask that allows it, 255.255.254.0 being the least permissive way to do it, as Jax mentioned 255.255.0.0 would also work but is far more permissive.

Routing setup to allow the traffic through a gateway address either via a static or dynamic route.

And, since you've sent these up as separate VLANs, you need the VLANs to route.

Also, as Jax mentioned, you need to assign whichever port the 'native' VLAN you expect them to communicate on.

would the 255.255.254.0 be on the vlan setup and then each device changed to that

what would be the port setup to get the vlans to route

Your PC must have 10.8.15.254 as default gateway
All devices must be configured with 10.8.14.1 as gateway
There is nothing else needs to be done to enable connected routing on the switch, just one check box.

You show ports 1 and 9 set up as "Switch for Automation" and connected to another network switch. Switch for Automation configures ports as a VLAN trunk. Those network switches will have to be managed switches with a compatible VLAN trunk configuration on the ports that connect to your Stratix.

I don't think this is correct as long as the switch is only routing between directly connected networks, which seems to be the case here. The gateway is necessary for the management interface to communicate with networks that it is not directly connected to, and it tells the switch how to route traffic destined for networks not directly connected.

Yeah. must be an older firmware. I have 2 switches and one requires it and the other won't allow it. Love it.

I was going to respond to this yesterday saying I had a similar problem and the gateway address ended up being the issue, but I didn't recall the specifics of my solution.

Don't know why but I tried the 255.255.0.0 it didn't work so I reset to factory defaults and then changed the template to routing again but I didn't check the check box this time for routing and it worked