UL Standards regarding Fabricating your own Enclosure

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Could someone point me to the relevant sections of the UL 508A or other standards that talks about fabricating your own enclosures?

I can't remember if you have to be specifically certified to do it or if you just have to follow all the standards.

I do remember that you can only Rate it a Type 1.

I have a copy of the standard but flipping though it I haven't found anything so far.

You can’t put a listing sticker on the enclosure unless you are a part of the panel shop program (requires $ and training) or you have UL or a recognized entity inspect the system (requires more $).

If the label is not important to your customer(s), you can just follow the rules and make the enclosure.

Chapters 62-64 of the UL508A standard cover requirements to make Type 1 Enclosures.

Last edited:
Are you asking about fabricating the actual metal or poly enclosure itself or buying off-the-shelf items to build & wire an enclosure?

These would be completely different areas of the UL or any other NRTL.

Chapters 62-64 of the UL508A standard cover the manufacturing of mutliple types of enclosures not just Type 1. I remember there being a question about required metal thickness for a certain size enclosure on the MTR Qualification Exam

Could someone point me to the relevant sections of the UL 508A or other standards that talks about fabricating your own enclosures?

I can't remember if you have to be specifically certified to do it or if you just have to follow all the standards.

I do remember that you can only Rate it a Type 1.

I have a copy of the standard but flipping though it I haven't found anything so far.

Back in the day, I use to build a number of custom enclosures. There was a company on 3 mile in Walker (West Michigan) I also had build custom enclosures and test some I built (explosive stuff).

Anyway, don't think they are still around.

What I do for custom is send Saginaw a cartoon of what I want. They are pretty good at responding and will send you CAD files to approve and it's only a few days after that till shipping.

I was out at a facility in Iowa that was building them a pretty fancy RIBS system. Engineers in Iowa were scratching their heads taking on this project, but it was working. Saginaw has a quite decent facility and can build you any custom you want.

Disclaimer: Not associated with Saginaw. They have always done a fine job for me and no worries. YMMV

Last edited:
Also I will look in to Saginaw. We used the at my last employer, and they were decently priced. I couldn't get our purchasing guy to consider them when I first start at my currently place, but times have a changed haha