Automation Direct Headless HMI (EA9-RHMI)

Viks

Hi Guys, has anyone here had any experience using Automation Directs Headless HMI's. I work for an OEM and we've been using AB's PanelView+ 7 Performance panels for a few years now and are now looking at other options which are a bit more flexible (resolution wise). Our local AB reps have recommended their PanelView 5510. Standard functions we normally use on the PV's are :
1. Popup Device Faceplates (passing tags/parameter files)
2. Data Logging (trends)
3. Alarms (active alarms and alarm history)
4. ActiveX (not used so often)
5. VNC (remote access)
6. FTP
The thing which I don't like about the PV 5510's is that it uses ALMD for alarms and I believe we'll have to upsize our controllers to handle all the alarms which is going to be an added cost to us. I recently looked at the Automation Directs EA9-RHMI headless units which I quite liked. Is there a downside to this if I changed over to the Automation Directs headless unit from the PV+? I know that I would have to re-develop everything from scratch if I went this path but that would be same even if I chose the PV5510 since they use View Designer and theirs no utility to convert a FTView project . Would appreciate if anyone who has done this before is able to share their experience.

Just a heads up- there is no "Global Object" equivalent for the AD HMIs as far as I know. That's the one big limitation that keeps me from using them for most smaller projects.

What AB controllers are you using. I think 1769-L2 and up can use the new Alarm tags and don't need the ALMA or ALMD. I'm 99% sure the 1769-L1 don't have the tag based alarms.

Just a heads up- there is no "Global Object" equivalent for the AD HMIs as far as I know. That's the one big limitation that keeps me from using them for most smaller projects.

Second this!

This is the reason I'm stuck (or was stuck) so hard on the AB HMIs. Iv managed to kind of replicate the parameter passing on lesser HMI like Weintek and EasyBuilder in the sense that I made a set of AOI that I create in the PLC to manage "parameter passing" to a common UDT that the HMI uses for all the motors or Faceplate device of any kind. It keeps me to still only needing one set of screens in my HMI for the device, lets say it happens to be for VFDs. I can then have one set of screens for all my VFDs. This way, I don't have to do 10 sets of screens if I have 10 motors. I simply create 10 sets of AOI in the PLC that route the parameters to the HMI tag. It really made the difference between needing an AB PV for a larger project or it being practical to using something else. I was some proud boy when I got this working and proven. It took me some hours to do as my faceplates have 5 screens. Alarming, Interlocking, Diagnostics, Control, ect. But now instead of needing a 5K$ screen and $$ software, I get to use free software, 1500$ HMI and I think I like the end result better.... Still deciding.

Yes,

I have used many RHMI headless HMI's. They use the same CMORE software. I use them to take advantage of the HDMI, Ethernet. I use them to connect Displays as well as create Datalogging, trending & Emailing of process data.

They are great to access over ethernet in a company network. The "remote" access feature for cell phones/ tablets is great. I have used about 10 of them and none of them have failed yet.

The CMORE software is the easiest to use for me and HMI's. The technical support from AD is great.

What AB controllers are you using. I think 1769-L2 and up can use the new Alarm tags and don't need the ALMA or ALMD. I'm 99% sure the 1769-L1 don't have the tag based alarms.

I'm using 5069-L320ERMS2. I guess I can use alarm definitions in the controller but since we have more than 30 alarms per AOI and about 10 AOI which have alarms I'm just wondering how much controller memory it would use. Is it going to be worth upsizing the controller just for this purpose?