drainage pipes
sink drains, yes, they require a a small slope to prevent vapor lock
wheel chair ramps
steps
highway ramps - for trailer trucks
conveyor inclines / declines
hope this helps,
james
To the point I was trying to make, if you give her several examples then she'll say, well I'm not going to do any of those things, so it's not important.

One take away from education is that it shows you are trainable. I don't think anyone should justify to a child why she needs to do something. Just do it and move on.

There's always that one thing in life you don't understand or don't agree with. Better to learn to deal with life now. Do the math! :)

Condemnant quo non intellegunt

Re the article on the Oregon Education Toolkit:
Don't have time to look at the whole thing but the first item listed isn't all that bad. It states a potential problem when:

• There is a greater focus on getting the "right" answer than understanding concepts and reasoning.

I would tend to agree with this. The understanding of the concepts and reasoning are the "forever knowledge" that is sometimes mentioned on here.

It's for sure anyone can cherry pick and selectively quote anything to make it look good or bad. One thing I know, having had a parent as a high school teacher and now a spouse that is a middle school teacher is that "teaching" something is not the same as the thing itself.

Saying that a teacher shouldn't focus only on the "correct" answer is NOT the same as saying that the "correct" answer doesn't matter.

The Fox article says
Instead of focusing on one right answer, the toolkit encourages teachers to "come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem."
But that is not what the Oregon toolkit says. The part in quotes is verbatim but taken entirely out of context. The actual toolkit says:

Choose problems that have complex, competing, or
multiple answers.
• Verbal Example: Come up with at least two answers
that might solve this problem.
So where the Fox article seems to be pitting 'one right answer' against 'two answers that might solve this problem' the toolkit says nothing of the sort. To me it's actually promoting teaching higher level thinking skills which I think is great. I have two young adult kids now that I truly feel are having a harder time because of the cookie cutter / shallow thinking / non-creative / non-forever knowledge trends in education over the last couple of decades.

Can't say everything in the toolkit is good since I don't have time to read it all but for sure I can say the Fox article has taken at least this part of it out of context and purposely painted it in a negative light that is not deserved.

Last edited:
You walk at 3 mph ( this is a rate or slope). If you walk for 3 hours, how many miles did you walk. If you start at mile post 5 ( offset ) and walk for 3 hours at 3 mph, at what mile post will you end up at.

Who is right? Ace of Base or John Lennon.
Ace of Base, "life is demanding without understanding"

See this below.

Last edited:
Can't say everything in the toolkit is good since I don't have time to read it all but for sure I can say the Fox article has taken at least this part of it out of context and purposely painted it in a negative light that is not deserved.
Manufactured outrage. I think that's their specialty!

I know that I should simply drop this line of discussion - but frankly I find it important ...

the point of the article that I posted is NOT that there is more than one way to arrive at the "correct" answer ... the point is that a student doesn't have to get the "correct" answer at all in order to get a passing grade ...

here is another article that makes that point in more detail ... PLEASE read it all the way through before you make an assessment of what it's saying ...

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dropping-f-grades-soft-bigotry-low-expectations-lindsey-burke

for those who simply don't have the time to research this on their own, here are the main points ...

(1) with EQUALITY the students all have equal chances to succeed ...

(2) with EQUITY all students are intended to have the same outcome ...

You walk at 3 mph ( this is a rate or slope). If you walk for 3 hours, how many miles did you walk. If you start at mile post 5 ( offset ) and walk for 3 hours at 3 mph, at what mile post will you end up at.

This feels like a trick question, like flying a plane or boating.

You walk 3mph up a hill but after 3 hours you've only gone 1 mile across the ground.

Also, who cares about slopes, learn equations. That way if you have multiple points at the same axis you can still get the correct answer.

Slope empowers you to predict the future; not perfectly, but better than those around you who do not understand slope.

Do you like hiking? Would you consider hiking some or all of the Appalachian Trail someday? Slope empowers you to predict how many days it will take you, how much food, water, and other provisions to pack between supply points. So you are not carrying too much and getting tired, neither do you go hungry.

Do you want to drive a car someday? Slope empowers you to predict how long a tank of gas will last, how often to have the car serviced. If you take a trip, slope empowers you with metrics to choose whether to drive, take a train, or fly. If you drive for a multi-day trip, slope empowers you to plan the trip, make hotel reservations along the way.

Do you like sports? Do you play hockey? Slope empowers you to predict how long of a shift you can expect to endure, how many times you will get on the ice, how to pace yourself through a game, how to train yourself to be ready to play.

Do you ever eat at a restaurant? Slope empowers you to be the one that figures out the tip.

Do you ever go shopping? Have you ever been at a cash register in a store when the power was out, and watched a committee of people discuss how to calculate the sales tax (I have)? Slope empowers you to check whether they charged the correct amount or not.

Do you ever have to make a choice between two or more competing options? Slope empowers you to quantify the relative benefits of each option, and compare them.

Do you expect to live outside your parents care? Slope empowers you to look at your income and predict what a useful budget would be, understand how much of a rent or mortgage payment you can afford, how much of a car you can buy, detect when a credit card company, or a contractor, or your representatives, or your government, are trying to rip you off or pull the wool over your eyes. Slope empowers you to predict whether you need a twenty-six-foot U-Haul, or can get by with the cheaper sixteen-footer when you move house.

Do you expect to have a job someday? Are you considering becoming a doctor, or a nurse? Slope empowers you to determine correct drug dosages, which can be a life or death matter. Might you start a business? Slope empowers you to develop a rational business model, understand trends, see and sieze opportunities. Are you an artist? Slope empowers you to purchase enough materials to complete an artwork and not waste material.

Do you wonder about how accurate your slope-driven predictions are? Slope empowers you to estimate their accuracy, and to add some margin to the prediction and allow for contingencies, so you can get to your hotel on that road trip before midnight even if you have a flat tire.

When someone asks a question, and everyone else around you looks at them blankly and blinks, if you know something about the topic, then slope empowers you to suggest a possible answer.

Have you ever gotten an incorrect answer from Google, or a ridiculous drive time from Google Maps? Slope empowers you to know that the answer you get is unreasonable or impossible.

Are you a procrastinator? Slope empowers you to goof off as much as possible and predict the latest you absolutely must start a task.

Slope is the Holy Grail, and is being handed to you on a silver platter; it is a serious mistake to blow it off.

Are you a procrastinator? Slope empowers you to goof off as much as possible and predict the latest you absolutely must start a task.

Slope is the Holy Grail, and is being handed to you on a silver platter; it is a serious mistake to blow it off.

Golden!

Hi Jeff,

I've tutored for many years and I think a lot of people here are missing a fundamental question. They are giving you great examples but to really connect with a student often you have to ask a different question first:

What does she like?

Does she like sports? Relate slope to how a football flies through the air.

Does she like baking? Relate slope to cookie color based on duration in the oven.

Does she like animals? Relate slope to how much animals eat compared to their size.

Sorry if I got preachy. Connection to something meaningful in the real world is critical.