Siemens Translation Tool

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm using Siemens TIA Portal to program an HMI. It has to be able to switch between English and Chinese. There is TIA Translation Tool download available from Siemens that sounds like it can do the translations automatically. But, after downloading it and reading the manual, I can not figure out how it works. I think I need to add Chinese to the Dictionaries first, and only then can the Translation Tool do the translations. But I can not find any Dictionaries downloads anywhere. Anyone know how this works? Thanks in advance.

This is the Translation Tool:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109475387/tia-translation-tool?dti=0&lc=en-WW#!

Hmmmmm..... A tool that translates from one language to another, fully automatically ?
Even with a dictionary, I dont see how it can be done. So many words are ambiguous.
And if you dont read chinese, there is no way to check the result.
I can check german, english, spanish, and in a pinch also italian, french and portuguese. For the latter I cannot translate the correct text, but I can see when something is wrong.
But for chinese or any other asian language, no chance.

We always export the texts to an Excel file, and send it to a professional translator. When the translator encounters a word that can mean several things, he sends me a mail for clarification.

BTW, creating and maintaining HMIs in multiple languages is a PITA !!

Thanks for the replies. No, I don't think I have any Dictionaries installed. I tried to find Dictionaries downloads on the Siemens website but could not find any. So I don't understand where the Dictionaries are supposed to come from.

I agree that maybe some of the automatic translations may be wrong, but I think some other HMI software does automatic translations too. (FTView ME and Indusoft used to).