ID this ultrasonic sensor

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking at a sensor wired directly to a PLC analog input (DL450) and trying to identify a make and model.

Sensor is working, but if I sign a calibration sheet, probably ought to have some sort of detail to go along with it.

There is no label on the sensor and I haven't tracked down the PLC math just yet. I thought I would tap into the vast knowledgebase that IS PLCTalk to beg for WAGs.

20211206_145420.png

It is probably not a Milltronics/Siemens ultrasonic.

The Milltronics/Siemens Echomax transducers are connected to a proprietary remote electronics box which interprets the echo signal and creates a signal conditioned 4-20mA output. The transducer is not a level transmitter; the transducer's output is an unuseable, low level signal.

Reportedly (see post #1), the wiring goes direct to a PLC analog input which infers that the level signal is an industrial, high level signal like 0-5V or 4-20mA.

Siemens has had a couple of 2 wire, loop powered level transmitters - Probe, LU-150, Probe LU, LU-180 - but none of them looks anything like the photograph (they all have 2" NPTM process connection threads).

I did not find any remote transmitter, and I didn't finish tracing out the Directsoft logic. The value that shows up on the HMI comes from a V memory register that is only referenced once by some totalizer logic. I have a feeling that the value is calculated by a proprietary ICI control board mounted on the door of the panel. I always have to dig deep in the manuals to figure out where analogs end up in a Directlogic PLC so I will try to do that tomorrow in the office.

I verified the reported value is accurate at two different levels, but I would sure feel better about it if I could fill in more of the missing details about how it gets from that sensor to the screen.

Every flume I have worked on that uses an ultrasonic, has the flume math embedded in the transmitter/display, although I suppose it is possible that even an old one might have the smarts on-board.

There was one condulet (not shown) at the end of that flex conduit that I opened up and inside is a nicely spliced cable with heat shrink. The PLC cabinet is about 75' away and has two 8 channel analog input cards, no drawings, all the cables look the same, very few labels...

Looks like a Greyline ( an older version).

https://pulsarmeasurement.com/dbi-modbus.
Completely self contained.

Interesting.

The main PLC is connected to a radio network as a Modbus slave on one of its serial ports as well as a proprietary single board computer on another serial port.

Thanks for the tip. I will contact them and see if they can ID it from that picture and perhaps send me some literature.