Proface HMI to Mitsubishi FX3U PLC RS422

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
I have been trolling through the Proface documentation to find an answer, but I read conflicting information.
We have a ProFace GP2500-TC41-24V where the touch function has stopped working. We are trying to replace this screen with a GP4105-TAC.
The GP2500 is connected to a Mitsubishi FX3U-64M via the 8Pin Mini DIN and on the screen is a DB25 on Com1. I have tried connecting the new GP4105 with an adaptor (as found on the Proface website) to the DB9 on Com2 (RS422).
I have also found that an adaptor cannot be used, the Proface cable CA3-CBLFX/5m-01 must be used for direct connection.

Does anybody have any experience in these matters? Do I need the new cable or can I use an adaptor (DB25-DB9 as per Proface website)?

Thanks Woolie

According to a website I visited some months ago the GP4105-TAC is 232 only on that port you need a GP4106 for 422, perhaps you need to check if it is 232 only in that case you will need a 232 to 422 converter. alternatively buy a 232-BD module that fits on the left hand side of the PLC i's only about £120.00 or so.
I believe this is the link to the manual

https://www.pro-face.com/otasuke/files/manual/gpproex/new/device/mit.htm

Thanks for the reply Parky,
I have just re-checked the new Proface screen and my dyslexia had kicked in.
The actual screen is a GP 4501 TAD, not GP4105 as previously stated.
There are 2 Com ports on this screen, Com 1 is RS232 and Com 2 is RS422/485.
The link to the manual is one of the many Proface manuals that I have read
Sorry to be misleading.
Woolie

The last time I used one of their HMI's I used the lead that was ordered with it, however, I do not know what the part number was now.
The one thing I found was that we normally used the Beijers E series, these can communicate at any baud rate set in the HMI, Mitsubishi by default the programming port defaults to 9600 baud, however, the GX software & the Beijers interrogate the PLC, change it's baud rate to that of the HMI/GX, however, I found that many other HMI's are not capable of forcing or requesting a change of baud rate so although if the PLC has been on-line with either GX or the HMI the baud rate will stay at that setting, however, if powered down or re-booted it defaults back to 9600, probably not a problem but it's a thought, I had one HMI (Proface) & set it to 56k, it worked fine as I had been on-line with GXDeveloper at that rate, when it was powered down it lost coms. Took me some time to realise what was happening.

Thanks for the update!
I wasn't aware that the HMI could change the baud rate of the coms. Great advice. Thank you.

I appreciate the time and effort you took to reply.
Woolie

As I stated, Beijers HMI's could do it but at the time I used a proface HMI that could not, not sure if things have changed but in my experience using a number of HMI's & OPC servers most do not, I have in the past tried to find a way to increase the speed of the default but could not find any documentation of how it is done, It is easy to do it on an add on port i.e. 232/422 -BD as there are registers in the D8000 range you can set the coms parameters but never found any for the main programming port.
My first experience of the back to default on power up for the programming port was with an OPC server, I had set up a system to read data for logging on a Scada system the idea was to capture the data off 12 production lines, the first trial seemed to work I had been on-line with GXWorks2 to make some mods using an Ethernet to 422 converter, connected the system to the Scada & it worked for a day, then lost communications, could not understand what the problem was, went on-line with GXWorks then found that the OPC server started working again, eventually found that the line was powered down at night for cleaning so had defaulted back to the 9600, in the end had to accept that this was the speed I had to adopt or fit a BD board & set the higher speed.

9600 baud will be suitable for the application as it is mainly page change buttons, parameter settings & monitoring of some real time values. The lesson here, I think, is to power cycle the PLC and then try to establish comms to the HMI in case the parameter get set back to Factory default.

Thanks again
Woolie

9600 is the factory default, only if you go on-line with GX (any version) and use another rate it will stay at that rate until re-booted then default to 9600, Even, one.
The one thing I have noticed is that in GXWorks2 the default is 115kb so if left at that rate & you unplug the HMI & go on-line then you will have to re-boot the PLC to go back to 9600 for the HMI.

Luckily for me, the Mitsubishi FX3U has got the optional 422-BD card installed. The set up id the HMI is connected to the native onboard Port and the optional 422-BD is left for programming. The original HMI communicates correctly, it's just lost the touch function, and I have been online and uploaded from the PLC on the additional 422 port.
Again thanks for sharing your experience.
Woolie