Panelview 800 Connection Path

maperry98

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to get a Panelview 800 (Ver 5.012) to talk to a SLC 5/04 through a ControlLogix bridge. The bridge has an Ethernet card and two DH+ cards. Does anyone know the format in the CCW software to set up the controller path?

Going through RSLinx this is the path through the bridge to the SLC. 172.16.141.100\Backplane\2\CH A\11.

After talking with Rockwell and a few engineers that work for our Rockwell distributor it has been determined that a Panelview 800 can't communicate with a PLC through a ControlLogix bridge. I guess it's time to upgrade the SLC 5/04 to a CompactLogix 5380.

This is using the CCW software. Trying to set up the PLC address on the Panelview 800 to talk to a SLC 5/04 on DH+, going through a ControLogix Ethernet card, to a DH+ card, to the SLC 5/04.

PanelView Plus and PanelView 800 both use the modern comms drivers; the old name was "RSLinx Enterprise" and the new name is "FactoryTalk Linx". CCW doesn't really expose it to you by name, but that's definitely what it is under the hood.

RSLinx Classic could route through 1756-DHRIO bridges to DH+, but RSLinx Enterprise cannot.

And it likely never will; when I first inquired about this function I was told it might "come soon", but that was 17 years ago.

You could connect that PV800 to the SLC-5/04 via the serial port, using DF1 or DH485 or a Net-ENI equivalent over Ethernet.

Thanks for the explanation Ken. The Panelview is in an office that is too far away from the processor to use serial communication. That's OK though, it gave me an excuse to upgrade the processor to a 5380.

Does the contrologix gateway have a CPU? If so then you msg read the SLC data into the contrologix and point the panel view at that.

No CPU. It is just an Ethernet card and two DH+ cards. I talked with management and they agreed to let me upgrade the 10 machines on the DH+ network to CompactLogix so we can get rid of the last DH+ in the plant.