Controlling mesages on message display via SLC500

simpy

Hi,
I have a message display that can be pre programmed with messages that i want to display. I can connect it to the SLC 500 via the com port on the processor. My question is this, how do i get the SLC500 to display the different messages that i have set up on the display? ie Alarm 1 - display message 1, alarm 2 display message 2 etc etc. If you need the make and model of the display to answer my question then i will be able to supply it tomorrow night as at present i am in a different location to where it is and unfortunately i cant remember the make. Its basically a 2 line message display unit.
Any help is appreciated

Thanks, Simpy

Last edited:
It really all depends on the display and it's ability to read/write bits on the SLC500.
Make, model, and programming software of the display would definatly be a help so we could answer your question.

westec said:
It really all depends on the display and it's ability to read/write bits on the SLC500.
Make, model, and programming software of the display would definatly be a help so we could answer your question.

Hi westec,
The display is an ALPHA 4080 using addressable rs485 input.
Thanks for any help.

Simpy

For those of you Googling along at home:

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Media/97018002.pdf

Adaptive is a big maker of displays for the industrial and commercial markets. I don't think that this display has an A-B specific communication driver at all, so you're going to have to send ASCII string commands to the display to trigger messages and embed variables in messages.

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Pages/techdoc.htm#alpha4000series

If you are unfamiliar with SLC-500's ASCII mode functions, get an SLC-500 Instruction Set Reference manual and start reading that chapter.

Last edited:
What you need to do is setup a file specifically for your messages. Usually an integer file is used. Then, set the conditions in the PLC to set the message file to a certain value. For example, in a SLC, lets say you choose N7:0 to be your message file. Now, lets say that message one has been chosen as the Machine Running message. In the PLC, you would need a rung which looks at the machine running conditions. When these are true, you would move a 1 into N7:0. On the other end of the spectrum, your message display will need to read the value of N7:0 and display the message accordingly.