Delta High Performance VFD-E Series

jude

Hoping some one can gave some information on this ,I have a CNC machine runing a Delta VFD-E Series drive for the motor.It runs fine except in the cold weather,purchased in Janurary of this year,on cold days it would stop working during the cut damaging the bit and error code 8888 would show,you could restart the machine and it would run for hours before same thing happened, put a heater close to the cabinet and when temperature increased drive ran fine , spring arrived and heater disconnected no problem now in November problem reaccured heater reconnected and fault does not reaccure, when heater is put near cabinet temperature is raised above ambient temp by a few degrees ie from around 19C to 22 celcius and problem fault does not reaccure

What is description of error code - sorry I do not have them memorized by the numbers.

Could it be cold lubricants -by placing heater to heat VFD could you be heating the lubricant in gearbox also thus removing the problem?

Dan Bentler

Despite the "snake oil" claims of many VFD manufacturers, no drives are designed to run properly under 0 degrees C. That's becaus they all use commercial grade IC's and solid state components that are rated to that temperature.

Some cheat by claiming that the drive, while running, keeps itself warm with its own waste heat but that is nonsense. How would you start a cold drive then?

The proper way to package a modern VFD is with a thermostatically controlled heater inside the cabinet if temperatures are expected to get below 0 degrees C.

One other thing I did not think of - for best results precision tooling should be kept at a constant temperature and in some cases humidity year round.

Dan Bentler

The error code 8888 which is displayed on the drive when the fault occurs is not listed in the manual or the web site and there has been no reply to an e mail to them. the cabinet in which the drive is placed is approx 4 feet from the motor. We are in the niagara region in canada so although it is in a 3000 square foot factory the temperature in the summer is probable in the high 20's and in the winter 18C, the humidity in the summer is quite high and does not cause a problem in the winter it is relative low, The other point is the drive rarely faults on start up most times it has been running for a period of time sometimes hours before it happens.

OK, so cold weather operation is not an issue here. We need to know what that error code is before we can go much farther.

Does it reset easily with the standard reset button or do you have to cycle power to get rid of it?

To add to the above, about the keypad, if you are honestly seeing a causal relationship between temperature and faults, one place to look would be ALL connections.
Power the drive down, take off the covers, and tighten everything up. Every terminal, every bolt, every screw.

Blow the dust and trash out while you are at it (in short, do a PM on the drive).

4 degrees C doesn't sound like it should be enough to cause what you are describing, but /shrug Almost anything is possible.

power has to be cycled to reset, when the machine arrived I went over all the connections evertything was good and the problem started with in weeks, my thought then was that a connection had loosened so I checked again and all ok

,I have a CNC machine runing a Delta VFD-E Series drive for the motor.It runs fine except in the cold weather,purchased in Janurary of this year,on cold days it would stop working during the cut damaging the bit and error code 8888 would show

Using this information with the information below. And presuming you are using water soluble coolant.

the cabinet in which the drive is placed is approx 4 feet from the motor. We are in the niagara region in canada so although it is in a 3000 square foot factory the temperature in the summer is probable in the high 20's and in the winter 18C, the humidity in the summer is quite high and does not cause a problem in the winter it is relative low, The other point is the drive rarely faults on start up most times it has been running for a period of time sometimes hours before it happens.

you could restart the machine and it would run for hours before same thing happened, put a heater close to the cabinet and when temperature increased drive ran fine , spring arrived and heater disconnected no problem now in November problem reaccured heater reconnected and fault does not reaccure,

And presuming there is more air circulation in the summer and less in the winter. Perhaps there is a localized humidity or condensing problem that the heater disguises or solves. This problem may not be in the cabinet. It might be in the motor or wiring.

Since this fault requires a recycle of power to reset it, I suspect that it is a serious system processor error. That pretty much means the drive is toast. Hope its still in warranty. This is reinforced by the fact that the display doesn't say what the fault is.