5069 I/O fault

We noticed that the problem appeared when activating a 24Vdc 36watt coil. That's 1.5 amps. The module was OW. Instead of a surge suppresor, we install a relay with embedded surge supression in the coil, an a diode in antiparallel in the relay contact. No more problems in 8 months. We also had issues in AI modules, solved by wiring to ground the negative of the 24vdc power supply.

I'm having the exact same issue with a rack with 11 5069-OW16, wish I would've went with 5069-OB16 and relays instead like I normally do. I've installed 6 5069 racks and this is the first time I've had any hardware issues and the first time I used the 5069-OW16.

I'm having the exact same issue with a rack with 11 5069-OW16, wish I would've went with 5069-OB16 and relays instead like I normally do. I've installed 6 5069 racks and this is the first time I've had any hardware issues and the first time I used the 5069-OW16.

Be sure to give that feedback to Rockwell.

I use the FPD to isolate motion and non-motion output power; typically the FPD is powered when safe conditions exist (safety relay).

This is exactly what the FPD is for. It is not a power supply, and cannot help provide more field power to your modules. However, it can also be used to split up field power among groups of modules to keep from having too many modules on one circuit.

I just had this exact problem with a new install. We converted an old SLC control system to a 5069 CompactLogix system. Almost every time an E-Stop is pressed the local rack (connected to the processor) has faults across several modules. There are 2 OW16 modules in that rack that power inductive loads on all outputs (starters and solenoids). Rockwell has not done a good job of warning users on this issue. Most users replace like-for-like modules in a conversion without worrying about rare issues like this. Most of us are concerned more about contact current ratings and wiring differences. This never happens when converting to ControlLogix. Of course when I complain to Rockwell about this they will point to their wiring guide where it recommends snubbers on all relay modules and divest themselves of any responsibility to make it right. One thing this does is push users away from these products. If I now have to worry about doing an in-depth analysis of each IO point in an existing system to test for all possible crazy issues like this, my cost estimates for PLC conversions will be cost-prohibitive for most customers. I am disappointed to say the least.

I found in the last 5069 commission that the inut modules are very sensitive to noise on the input signal wires; more so than 1769 or 1734 inputs. Extra care had to be taken to route wiring father away from vfd output wiring than in the past.

I've been told the Gigabit backplane of the 5069 system is in general much more susceptible to noise than previous generation I/O.

I've been told the Gigabit backplane of the 5069 system is in general much more susceptible to noise than previous generation I/O.
Interesting- I never put it together than it would have anything to do with the Gigabit backplane. That would make a lot of sense and help explain why these seem to be so much more sensitive in general than the previous generation.

Hi All,

I am busy commissioning a panel.
I have a 5069-OB16 series B, v 3.011 output cards x2.

Both cards are flashing red on the point indications.
I also have 5069-IB16 cards connected on the same chassis and no issues.

Any help??? Please

Hi All,

I am busy commissioning a panel.
I have a 5069-OB16 series B, v 3.011 output cards x2.

Both cards are flashing red on the point indications.
I also have 5069-IB16 cards connected on the same chassis and no issues.

Any help??? Please
Description:
One of the following:
• A No Load or Short Circuit condition
exists.
• 5069-OB8, 5069-OB16/B, 5069-OB16F/B,
5069-OB16K/B - A Field Power Loss
condition exists.

Recommended Action:
One of the following:
• Locate and correct the no load or short
circuit condition.
• Locate and correct the cause of field
power loss condition.

I had someone mention this to me again recently so I said I'd check in on it...

Geospark said:
Last I remember reading "somewhere?", the 5069-OW16 modules are due an "upgrade" December 2019.

What a shame they had to go back and perform proper noise immunity testing, after not providing suppression, just to figure..."I think we should've added suppression?".

I can only assume, but would also hope, that they're just biting the bullet and providing built-in suppression? That, or else each module will now come in a lead-lined box...

Latest date on their "TechConnect" only article for this, which still says no internal snubber, is 11/04/2020. I've heard nothing more since on the matter?

ID: QA38430 | Access Levels: TechConnect
5069 Relay Output Modules with Red Status LEDs

However, another small piece of information which I have found, relates to the "update" I thought I had read at an earlier date (circa Dec 2019). As it turns out, what I had recalled was incorrect and it was in fact an updated Product Design Assessment (PDA) for the 5069 family of components. It was carried out by a third-party assessor (ABS) for the products manufactured in Singapore.

I have a copy of the summary and it states the PDA certificate is valid until October 2022. There was also a Manufacturing Assessment (MA) which was carried out in July 2019 which is certified until July 2024. What is of interest is the distinction in the tests carried out specifically for the following when compared to most of the other products -

412195-2-5069-OB8_OW16 - ABS-Connector YO3163419R1
412195-5069-OB8_OW16 - Test Report #817721
412195-1-5069-OB8_OW16 - Environmental Test Report Programmable Logic Controller I/O
module
412195-3-5069-OB8_OW16 - EMC Test Report 5069-OB8 and 5069-OW16

Very few of their products had a specific Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) test carried out at this time. I suspect these modules were singled out for testing for EMC as at that point there were likely many reported incidences of apparent electromagnetic interference for user applications. While each Test Report is catalogued and numbered, I do not, alas, have a copy of the actual EMC report. That may have made for interesting reading?

Confirmation of Product Type Approval

It seems, though, that they still passed and were certified for use for the foreseeable. So it looks like we've still got to add our own suppression.

p.s. In the specifications for these relay output modules, for "off-state leakage current per point", they now make a distinct reference to having "no onboard snubbers".

So we are still being snubbed on the issue, or not?

Regards,
George

We also had issues in AI modules, solved by wiring to ground the negative of the 24vdc power supply.

Slightly off topic, but this caught my eye. Does anyone here ever NOT ground the negative of their 24vdc power supply? I've never seen it not done. I've worked at 5 different companies now over 15 years. It's all I've ever seen done.

Slightly off topic, but this caught my eye. Does anyone here ever NOT ground the negative of their 24vdc power supply? I've never seen it not done. I've worked at 5 different companies now over 15 years. It's all I've ever seen done.

Same. His comment caught me off guard, because I've never NOT grounded the negative.