Why Update Firmware? If It Works Leave Alone

bright676

Why Update Firmware?...

I keep seeing others inquiring about updating firmware. Why would you update the firmware is it running?

It is my physiology that if the plant is running, DONT MESS WITH IT!.

I understand that I will get beat down about this. but if its running just leave it alone.

Why Update Firmware?...

I keep seeing others inquiring about updating firmware. Why would you update the firmware is it running?

I understand that I will get beat down about this. but if its running just leave it alone.

Yeah, fair point, but just know everyone that comes behind you hates you.

Sure PLC5 works or some other legacy BS... but now we can't get replacement parts and guess who has to fix this? The person you screwed over with the... lets not do any updating at all.

Ethernet is scary why use it when RS232 works just fine or datahighway or pick any other BS I don't want to "trouble shoot" when it inevitably fails.

Hell you see this with Windows XP, places still have that operating system in place for production lines.

It's just kicking the can down the road until someone new comes and corrects it.

edit - I totally forgot to talk about security and other things that can take down your production line.

Last edited:
Because there's more to the story.

- Regulation force periodic patch due to security reasons.

- Avoid keep multiple version of software around

- Avoid keeping very old desktop OS around to support old firmware.

Just the top three that I ran into myself.

Why Update Firmware?...

In my instance some redundant equipment is being replaced on site and I need to upgrade the SLC 5/05 firmware to make it compatible with the new equipment. Have tried other options first but in our trials upgrading the firmware has been the most successful and as it turns out the cheapest solution.

No one likes being the test case, and sometimes being on the bleeding edge of technology isn't always the easiest ride. In saying that, i have way too many legacy systems i support because people have taken the "it works, don't touch it" approach... for 20 years.

You don't have to do every firmware upgrade... but at least monitor what is going on, what bugs get fixed and what features get added.. and consider updating every few years.

Equipment manufacturers often provide migration paths... leave something for too long, and the next step up is already obsolete by the time you want to take it. Makes your job harder.

As long as you have an approach based on solid engineering rather than just "it works, so screw it" then go for it.