Limit torque on servomotor

aand74

We have aspindle that we drive with Siemens Sinamics S210 servodrive and servomotor1FK2104-4AF10-0MA0 and gearbox 2KJ3500-1CA01-0AM1-ZD11+K08+L02+L75+Y00. The servomotor has a static torque of 1.27Nm and maximum torque of 3.75Nm. The gearbox is a two stage bevel gearbox with a ratio of 11:1.
We havecalculated that the output of the gearbox will have to deliver about 2.2 Nmduring normal working cycle.
The spindle can stand up to 9 Nm before it would break.
We do positioning jobs with the spindle. We will have only mechanical fixed endstops,no electrical sensors for endpositions or home position. Mechanical stops
are very strong build, the spindle itself will be the weak factor if collisionoccurs.
I see the gearbox has ratio 11:1. Static torque of motor is 1.27 Nm, maximumtorque 3.75 Nm.
We should want to home the motor (in case it is mechanically displaced) byletting it travel to the outer mechanical stop, with reduced torque (as isforeseen in the technologyof the Siemens S7 1500 plc). We also should want during normal operation limitthe maximum torque. This for the cases where there would be a positioning faultand the spindle
would drive to its mechanical limits.
The question is : will the motor sense the torque limit, taking In accountthere is a gearbox mounted (it is a bevel gearbox, not a planetary) We wouldprobably limit the maximum torque onto the spindle to 4 Nm,
this would be about 0.4 Nm on the motor. I know from projects in the past thatwhen a gearbox (with high ratio) is mounted that it is sometimes difficult tolimit on that torque because the gearbox absorbs already a lot of torque.