ABB Soft Starter issue

johnd_125

I have a customer with an ABB PSE170-600-70 Soft starter running a 125HP Bucket Elevator motor (480V). Its been running fine for several months. But recently started throwing an E34 fault during the ramp up. Motor was not rotating during this ramp up.

E34 is a "low current fault" and points to a power issue or defective thyristors.

This motor has to run and the customer has switched it over to direct across the line. Measuring amperage, at no load I suspect, was 37 Amps, all 3 phases within a 1/2 amp.

This is still under the warranty period but utilize that it has to be shipped to Denmark for evaluation. All efforts to get any help from ABB have proven useless. Might as well buy a new one as to try to get warranty but it won't be an ABB if I have anything to do with it.

So,
1. Any ideas on this fault, what caused it and how to potentially diagnose a "low current fault"
2. Who makes a reliable soft starter that might be somewhat the same physical size? (kinda tall and skinny). I've switched from ABB to Weg but Weg's soft starter is kinda square and would be a pain to get into the same spot as the ABB. Weak reason, I know....

TIA

I'm not familiar with the ABB Soft Starters, but...

It sounds like there is a disconnect on the motor side and it was open, since E3x is under current trip, and x=4 means normally more than 1 of the phases...

You might check Motortronics VMX-synergy series, Lovato, or Emotron. They have the tall skinny form factor.

Is the fault "E34" or is it "EF34"?
Do you have a contactor in line with (before or after) Soft Starter? IS that contactor energized BEFORE you send start signal to Soft Starter?

Thank you for the responses.

The fault code is EF34. Sorry.

There is no contactor in line with the SS, either before or after. Line side power will come on about the same time as control power. Then, a relay contact is used to start and stop the Soft Starter.

Have you checked this things?

EF34 Fault:

Operational current too low or lost on one
or several phases. (Make sure all connections are clean and tight)
• Check and correct supplying network

Phase loss on line side or motor side. (Make sure all connections are clean and tight)
• Check and correct supplying network
• See Phase loss EF14.

Thyristors not able to conduct
• Check and replace PCB/thyristor.
Contact your ABB Sales Office for
replacement kit.

The motor is too small.
(current is out of measuring range).
• Check that the softstarter corresponds
to the motor size.