My recent PanelView Oxidized Screen Repair experience

JaxGTO

My customer had an old PanelView 1000 in a system that is going to be pulled out next year. The PV screen became oxidized so bad you could barley see anything. So while the system was down I decided to try and fix it. I purchased a Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit from Auto-zone.

First I taped off just the screen so I wouldn't damage the function key area. I also removed the control board and taped up all of the vent hole to help keep out any water from getting in the screen.

I then used the 1000 grit sand paper disc by hand. Keeping it wet at all times. This worked great for getting off all of the oxidation. The screen was very hazy still from the sanding but I was confidant that the next grit and polish would get rid of those scratches.

Then I used the 3000 grit disc. Again keeping it wet. I used that by hand as well sanding very lightly until the whole thing look uniform hazy.

Finally I used the yellow polishing wheel in my drill at a very low speed, maybe 800 RPM. Using the PlastX polishing compound twice.

Well I couldn't believe the great results. The customer thought I bought them a new screen.

I also used the Headlight Sealant using the included applicator sponge. After letting dry it looked even better. The sealant really smooths out any remaining scratches.

And after all that the touch still works perfectly.

I attached a before and after.

Before.jpg After.jpg

Last edited: