Engineering Council

mad4x4

Whilst trying to complete Engineering Council Application I am struggling with the following I know this is not a PLC question but it relates to the PLC and Automation industry.. Council is IET (UK)

Undertake engineering activities in a way that contributes to sustainable development.

Skill Level Guidance

You should be able to demonstrate how you operate and act responsibly, taking account of the need to progress environmental, social and economic outcomes simultaneously; and/or use imagination, creativity and innovation to provide products and services which maintain and enhance the quality of the environment and community and meet financial objectives; and/or secure and influence stakeholder involvement in sustainable development; and/or ensure resources are used efficiently and effectively. Your evidence may include where you carried out environmental impact and assessments; and/or planned and implemented best practice environmental management systems such as e.g. ISO 14000, and risk management systems e.g. ISO31000; and/or worked within environmental legislation; and/or championed sustainable practices and achieved social, economic and environmental outcomes.

So any ideas from an Automation Engineer Point of View how you answer that Question as I am flummoxed?

Whilst trying to complete Engineering Council Application I am struggling with the following I know this is not a PLC question but it relates to the PLC and Automation industry.. Council is IET (UK)

So any ideas from an Automation Engineer Point of View how you answer that Question as I am flummoxed?

I think that being involved in the risk assessment portion of the project, where environmental and safety side effects are considered

- will a failure in this valve ( position or control) dump chemicals to the floor drain?
- monitor hot water/brine lines for leaks
- alarm a tank overflow while effluent is still within secondary containment
- recommend a safety system be installed between different 'skid-mounted OEM' systems that each have their own safety systems. The interface between systems is sometimes missed as a risk

This assumes that you have been involved in these assessments.

If you are working at a specific site, and this process is not formalized, perhaps you can suggest an informal risk assessment on your next project. Safety is good business.

If you are consulting, it's tough to get paid to join the assessment for a client if you have no previous experience. Perhaps an existing client will allow you to participate if you 'do it for free' for the first couple of projects? I'm not very good at marketing - that may be a bad idea.

Also anything dealing with ergonomics. Examples:
  • Reducing the weight of a fixture
  • Adding an assist for fixtures.
  • Height of workspace for an operator, or adjustable height workspaces
  • Same for HMI heights

[OPINION]
With this line, I can see why you'd be flummoxed:
taking account of the need to progress environmental, social and economic outcomes simultaneously
Many places toss out fuzzy words like these, without really knowing what they're talking about, like Industrie 4.0, or understand the implications of what they're saying.

Or worse, they do understand...
[/OPINION].

Time to put the disclaimer in my signature.

Reading into the examples of proof they're looking for, have you worked in Water or Sewage? Energy reduction projects or additions you've made to reduce energy use?

All views expressed on this post are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any entity whatsoever with which I have been, am now, or will be affiliated.
The following list is a sample of entities you should NOT blame:
plctalk.net
my wife
my church
my school
my employer (really, they already know I'm nuts)
my Twitter followers
my dog
my siblings (I can blame them for enough all of us)
my parents
my cousins
any polital party
Batman (or blame at your own risk)

Friendly advice.

You might want to put the wife first. Most people here (plctalk.net) have thick skin ( or better have). Happy wife ....