FactoryTalk SQL Headache

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi Guys,

I have just installed FactoryTalk Studio V10.

I am getting the error as per the attached picture.

I have tried installing, un-installing, re-booting, everything, but I can't get it to work and keep getting the SQL error.

Anyone else seen this problem.

Cheers

Mark

SQL Fault.png

Mark,

I found this in Tech Note 1082306 (Access Level: TechConnect), hope it helps:

1. Check the Windows Control Panel and see if McAfee or PC Matic is installed.
2. If they are, then remove them.
3. Once they have been removed then reboot.
4. Run a repair on the SQL 2014 LocalDB
5. Reboot.

Additionally, check to see if there is a password policy enabled in the group policies that requires a password to have a minimum length. This can prevent the LocalDB installation if the password being provided in the back-end by FactoryTalk View Studio installation does not meet requirements.

Hi Ohnedich,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any of those installed. I have tried turning off all of my anti-virus software, but that didn't work.

When I start FactoryTalk, I go into my services and it seems the LocalDB isn't running, and I can't seem to get it to start.

I have tried repairing the SQL 2014 LocalDB, and have even deleted it and then recreated it, but still nothing.

I'll keep plugging away with it. Going to see if my IT guys have any suggestions.

Cheers

Mark

I don’t think I would give anyone access to my computer I don’t know and trust.

I remember encountering the same or similar error installing FTV10. I'm not certain this was the problem and fix for this particular problem because I installed a few other things that time.

Something I was trying to install was expanding packages as part of the install and some files were exceeding a 260 character limit for path and filename. I was trying to run the installer from something like C:\users\memyselfandi\documents\installs\ftv\. I moved the installer to C:\ra\ or something short like that and everything worked.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have just installed FactoryTalk Studio V10.

I am getting the error as per the attached picture.

I have tried installing, un-installing, re-booting, everything, but I can't get it to work and keep getting the SQL error.

Anyone else seen this problem.

Cheers

Mark

Hey man, just found the solution. I worry that's too late for you but it can help someone in future with the same problem.

To solve it you need to:

> Go to Add or remove programs on Windows
> Search for "SQL" and remove LocalDB 2014
> Download ONLY the SQL 2014 LocalDB msi from Microsoft Download Center (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299)
> Install the msi
> Restart your PC.

And that will probably solve the error, worked for me. :)