Nidec c200-021 VFD rotating at zero reference

it looks like you have a problem with the vfd
replace it
I would recommend a Yaskawa GA1000
as I said I have had problems with those vfd's

+1 Gary. Yaskawa is awesome I had about 1000 of them in a process plant hardly ever a failure and they do every thing you could want.

I worked in in a plant for 10 months that used AB drives (Maybe 100 units in plant total), probably replaced 20 drives in 10 months (20%).

Off the phone with Nidec. 05.027 slip compensation gain default is 100% and had to set at 0%. First time adjusting this. I am still in the dark. Guess I've got some more reading to do. If anybody has some insight to this adjustment, i would love to know more about it. Thanks everyone.

It sounds like the slip compensation is over correcting.

Have you done a rotating auto-tune?
Is the Nameplate RPM set correctly?

One of your pictures showed 1.001 = 0.05 although 1.036 was 0.00. This is likely a noise issue that the scan is catching asynchronous.

You can add a negative trim into 1.038 as %, or in 1.004 as Hz, and select with 1.009.

Sometimes these drive think they are smarter than us, and sometimes they are right, but there are times they aren't.

Wow, super low Power Factor and Efficiency.

I'd put 5.027 back to 100%, and play with the RPM rating. I only set it different from default on applications where I expect a changing load condition.

Gene
Great and thanks. I think you are correct. It preforms close to expectation at 1800 RPM and its a very cheap motor. I just got caught up in what i could be doing wrong. We have roughly 350 Unidrives or Commanders running here and have very good success with them and have been replacing all our other drives with these. I was hoping to get a good run for awhile with the M200 but nope, here come the C200. It was really nice to order the small 110v drive to test on the bench and it leads me to wonder how well my drives are tuned on the floor because they all cut the FWD signal and I do not see this problem. Hopefully its just this motor but i have 72 of them running out there right now.lol
Have a great night and all the advice was greatly appreciated everyone.

Last edited:
Just a closing thought....

I am betting that due to the low PF, the drive is not accounting for the total magnetizing current, and is *ASSUMING* some of the current is torque producing current. Therefore, it is increasing the frequency, via slip-comp, to correct the speed due to the *ASSUMED* torque. In other words, the drive thinks the motor is being rotated backwards with a 0 reference, and is trying to hold it still.

But, I grew up in the 60's & 70's, and have been known to hallucinate on occasion :D

I see. I'm off till Monday and I'm going to put the reference into Pad and set a min clamp at 0.1 and see if it runs that at 1700 rpm, set at zero input. Would this change confirm that? Then I just need to figure out the cost savings of running a more efficient motor over ours now and lobby for some money. I've never really looked at that, just plugged in the numbers.

Last edited:
The pennies saved on a more efficient small motor would be round-off error...

I'm not sure why you are thinking of a 0.1hz minimum. That would likely be rotating, or at least fluxing the motor more than needed.

There's some cool tricks you can play to completely shut the motor off below a level in menu 12's threshold detectors. For example, if the Selected Speed Reference (1.001) was below say 1hz (well below the slip frequency), you could turn off the enable (6.015), to save the energy and heat :)

Just an example of the cool little functions they have in the Commander/Unidrive to be able to band-aid an application. You really shouldn't try to shut off a motor by 0 Reference, taking the Run command away is the proper way, but sometimes, the guy before you was not that bright ;)

Originally posted by Gene Bond:

I am betting that due to the low PF, the drive is not accounting for the total magnetizing current, and is *ASSUMING* some of the current is torque producing current.

This is very likely the case. Setting the nameplate RPM to 1800 basically indicates there is no slip regardless of load and therefore nothing for slip comp to act on. I have had to lie to Powerflex 525 drives about nameplate RPM in the past when using them in poor man's positioning applications because the goofy things wouldn't stop on target because of this. The PF 525 doesn't have a slip comp "gain" that I could find so all I had left was the nameplate RPM value.

Keith