Programmers who go off script

Hmm... a 256 element array and using a USINT as an index would solve some of those array index out of bounds issues sleepy programmers make.

So you are going to make all your arrays 256 elements long, and use a USINT index. What if the array only needs to be 3 or 4 elements long ?

They are already working, please don't touch them.

Sometimes you have to, heavily, but you'll be restricted to what the controller can handle.

In any case, I NEVER make any arrays bigger than the application calls for. If I have to download, then so be it ....

I would rather the processor fault than do something unexpected to an incorrect array location, because that draws the attention to my programming error.

Nope, I stand by that statement. Seriously, MOST of them that I worked with rarely showed up at the designated time to meetings or whatever. This would not have been tolerated if others did it but supervision would just shrug and say “well, that’s just how Joe is.”

The above may not be your experience but it has been mine with MOST programmers. It’s just them being unreliable and uncontrollable for “normal” job functions.

As a guy who from time to time is late to a meeting, I suppose you could call my occasional meeting faux pas a discipline issue. For me it occurs when I am so wrapped-up in writing code, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that goes on around me takes place in a world outside of my consciousness. Code Mode lives on in me.

That said, I agree it isn't an excuse, it's just what happens with me. I'll set alarms on my phone, I'll have Google Meeting reminders set, everything I can think of because I realize it's a problem for me. I don't consciously say to myself, "I have a meeting in 10 minutes but screw it. I'm busy". After finding a good stop point to what I'm doing (where I'll actually remember what my thoughts and strategy were) I take a breath of relief, check the time because I know there is a meeting sometime soon, and I swear at myself "Dagnab it! (I'm old, I say things like that). That meeting started 30 minutes ago. Where did the time go??";)