VFD in a DOL Motor

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone,

I had a 10hp 3phase motor 380V, that was connected DOL.

Now we changed it, and put a VFD. When running the motor at 50Hz which is the same frequency of the supply line, it looks the motor is running a little faster..

Is this posible ?? If we connect the motor with a VFD but put the same frequency of the line, shouldt it rotate at the same speed as if it was connected directly to line ??

Thanks!!

Is this posible ?? If we connect the motor with a VFD but put the same frequency of the line, shouldt it rotate at the same speed as if it was connected directly to line ??

Thanks!!

No
Want is your speed reference set at?
You using a pot? Or?

No
Want is your speed reference set at?
You using a pot? Or?

Hi !

Speed reference is set at 50Hz, and its done via Keypad.

So the speed reference is set to the same frequency as the inline frequency..

Thanks

When you say "looks", have you measured it in any way?

This motor is connected to a screw, and now we are having more Kg/hr than before.. Thats why I say it looks its running faster..

I wanted to know if there is a theoric reason for this to happen ??

Or if this is impossible.

The question is a motor running DOL with the line frequency of 50Hz, and the same motor running with a VFD and the Speed set to 50Hz also. Should they run at the same speed ?? or there might be a reason/parameter or whatever in the VFD that could cause to be a speed difference ??

Thanks!!

Is it possible that it was connected in star/wye before when it was on DOL and now it is in triangle/delta?

Is it possible that it was connected in star/wye before when it was on DOL and now it is in triangle/delta?

Hi !

Actually the motor before was started using a WYE/DELTA starter.

When we installed the VFD we connected the motor in DELTA.

So the connection is the same as before when running in normal conditions.

If your new VFD uses sensorless vector control, it could be compensating for slip, making the motor spin at a true 50Hz instead of 50Hz minus slip which is what the DOL starter would be doing.

What is the brand/model of VFD?

If your new VFD uses sensorless vector control, it could be compensating for slip, making the motor spin at a true 50Hz instead of 50Hz minus slip which is what the DOL starter would be doing.

Hi rupej !

It is configured V/f mode..

Could you explain me a little bit more that point you are making ??

thanks!

Basically with slip compensation, the VFD knows the slip of the motor, so it outputs a slightly higher frequency to compensate, causing the motor to actually rotate at the commanded frequency. See attached document.

https://mobile.yaskawa.com/delegate/getAttachment?documentId=AR.AFD.01&cmd=documents&documentName=AR.AFD.01.pdf

Ok,, but the mode im using is V/Hz.. in this mode also applies what you are saying ??

In VFDs this slip compensation is always done ? or is a parameter that needs to be configured..

I have configured many VFDs and never had to touch this parameter of slip compensation.. (but also never had this problem ! haha)

thanks!

If the VFD is configured for V/F, then it is not using slip compensation, so this doesn't apply. Some VFDs are configured for sensorless vector and use slip compensation by default, though. So you wouldn't need to ever think to set it.

What is the brand/model of VFD you are using?

If the VFD is configured for V/F, then it is not using slip compensation, so this doesn't apply. Some VFDs are configured for sensorless vector and use slip compensation by default, though. So you wouldn't need to ever think to set it.

What is the brand/model of VFD you are using?

Im using WEG CFW500 10HP 380V

Yeah, that has sensorless vector as an option but V/Hz is the default.

Where in NY do you have 50Hz? Or are you working remotely?

The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the line frequency is actually less than 50Hz (Maybe in a third-world country?) then the VFD outputting a true 50Hz would make the motor spin faster.