Masking all IP Addresses in a subnet to appear as one IP Address on the main network

adrianedelen

I am trying to create a network setup that would take many devices that are working together and have them appear as one device or IP on a network using a Siemens Scalance S615.

The setup would be as follows.

I would have a VPN connection into the network and would have access to VLAN 1 (external) of the S615, all of the devices would be connected to VLAN 2 of the S615.

Plant network -------------------------------192.168.1.0/24
VLAN 1(S615, external facing)---------192.168.2.0/24
VLAN 2(S615, has several devices)--192.168.3.0/24

I do not have access to the plant network configuration, only the S615 and our other devices.

Ideally the VPN would connect me right to the vlan 1 and the rest of the network would only see the 1 IP address of the gateway of vlan 1 (192.168.2.1) but once connected I can see and interact with all of the devices.

From my reading it seems to be solved by static routing or NAT, however I am still learning and have not been able to successfully get the two vlans to communicate.

To add: I am not concerned about having multiple vlans or firewalling, That is just how the S615 comes configured, if there is a way to have all the ip address appear as one without separating them with a vlan that is acceptable.

The main goal is to have all of the PLCs drives etc. in the cabinet appear as one IP address to the rest of the network.

I do not have control over the plant network or the VPN, the only device I have control of is the S615 and the PLCs and drives

Maybe set down with their IT people and hash it out? I remember doing this same thing with a hirshman switch but the details are fuzzy.

unfortunately there isn't really an IT department to talk to, this is going into our package that will be installed onsite, so each setup will be different depending on the VPN that the plant uses and their network setup.

That is why I am trying to accomplish this setup, I just need the IP of all of our devices to appear as one device on their network.

I have a plant with one big network that uses the 192.168.1.x as the base addressing. But each PLC like 192.168.1.10 (mask 255.255.255.0) has a second IO EN2T card that has the address of 192.168.10.1 with a mask of 255.255.0.0. This is because some of the IO devices are 192.168.10.x and some are still 192.168.1.x. This keeps each PLCs IO on a different subnet but also able to see devices on the main subnet.

For Compact Logix and SLC 500s still on the network they have an address of 192.168.1.x (mask 255.255.0.0) so they can still see the main subnet and IO on their IO subnet.

Not sure if that helps...Jack