Conduit sealing rings - split installable?

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all. We have a substantial project with a less than optimal electrical contractor. A bunch of sealtite fittings were installed to NEMA 12 raceway and enclosures without sealing rings. The environment is genuinely worthy of seals. I feel somewhat bad making them de-term and re-term wires to install seals, but doing it right the first time was an option.

Does anyone know of a split sealing ring that could be installed by just removing the nut inside and slipping around the outside of the connectors? Maybe something made in two halves that interlock to provide an adequate seal? It's 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”, and 1-1/2” fittings.

I think I would try using silicone RTV
back the lock nut off work the silicone around the connector let set over night
then tighten the locknut
I would think that would worm as well or maybe even better then the O ring
the question is will it be excepted
by the way what contractor did you use so I know not to use them
Either wat it's their problem to fix it for free

This is food manufacturing so silicone won’t be the fix. We don’t want loose pieces peeling off. As you said, it’s their problem to fix. I’m just looking for a simpler way for everyone. Gary, it’s not a local contractor so I don’t expect you would ever encounter them.

Hi all. We have a substantial project with a less than optimal electrical contractor. A bunch of sealtite fittings were installed to NEMA 12 raceway and enclosures without sealing rings. The environment is genuinely worthy of seals. I feel somewhat bad making them de-term and re-term wires to install seals, but doing it right the first time was an option.

Does anyone know of a split sealing ring that could be installed by just removing the nut inside and slipping around the outside of the connectors? Maybe something made in two halves that interlock to provide an adequate seal? It's 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”, and 1-1/2” fittings.

Make them do it right. I just made a contractor undo 5000 wires because they marked them wrong. They put the wrong numbers on and argued that they will just change the prints on over 20 PLC's. They used cable numbers not wire numbers, I could of let them use wrap around but because they were trying to cover it up i made them remove old numbers and install heat shrink ones as per contract. Like you said they could of done it right the first time and were to lazy to ask for a RFI.

Get it done right, you are the one paying for what was agreed upon (in writing?). Besides which, I don't know of any kind of IP 30 or better seal that can be installed after the fact. Maybe UL is different than ULc, or CSA, but I doubt it. https://www.nemaenclosures.com/blog/nema-ratings-buying-guide-for-type-1-3r-4-4x-12-differences/ explains it pretty nicely. You basically need splashproof fittings. I'm a bit surprised their sealtite (Liquid Tight Flexible?) conduit fittings didn't come with a seal ring. Sounds like someone hoped a whoopsie would be overlooked, or genuinely didn't know a necessary part was missing, or they went with a cheaper fitting.

Since this is a food grade application, you are out of luck.
Not only are there to be seal rings, but food grade as well. When did sealtite get allowed? Do it right !!
the LAST THING you need is for an inspector to come in there and find an issue ! Possible automatic plant shutdown, no joke! that opens the door for more frequent inspections, code violations to be found, fines, and legal issues IF ANY contamination can be traced back to the installation. this is the last thing you want !i was at a plant that learned that the hard way.
james

A few thoughts on this
First for the silicone RTV question, there is food grade Silicone RTV it a little more expensive than the regular I have seen it.
You only need food grade rated materials if it is in direct contact with the food product itself
As for needing food grade ratings on everything good luck with that I have never seen any electrical materials that is food grade rated, the closest is maybe wash down duty. Steatite, connectors, panels, motors none are food grade rated.
While there is no excuse for not doing the job right the first time, in fact its more effort to not do it right because the correct connectors come with the O-Ring already installed and you have to actually remove it for it not to there.
Now if you install them wrong, then get they do lose their ratings. If the installer twists the connecter instead of the lock nut you can push the O-Rings out of place I have seen that many times.
Food processing plants use wash down duty equipment.
If you want to be a stickler then yes you should require the original contractor to change the all out, it’s his loss for not doing it right the first time maybe he will learn from hid mistake.
Just as a reminder that wash down duty is not submersible and motors must be mounted in the correct orientation, they have small vent holes in the bottoms

Thanks everyone. This is a packaging area. The electrical components are not food contact. Cleaning is by spray bottle and rags. I think the general contractor has a guy who’s not part of that electrical group sticking around a few weeks to fix everything like this. Seals aren’t the only problem, just the most work to fix.

If silicone peeled, it wouldn’t be a direct risk but I don’t even want it to end up on the floor. A proper ring has zero risk so that’s what we’ll be doing.

Thanks Patrick. The Icotek cable glands are the closest I’ve seen but not quite there.

if you are going to that level then I would use Myers Hubs and screw the sealtite connectors into that it doesn't get better than that never had any trouble with seals on Myers Hubs

As a contractor, we always try and do the best job by our client and i never try and cut corners.

But one thing that really, really irks me is when whoever is running the job turns up right at the end and says "no that's not what I want", or "no, that's not to our spec! Oh we didn't tell you we have one? Well we do, so re do it all".

If you're engaging people to do work for you and there are specific requirements, then schedule regular inspections with their site supervisor (at least weekly for big jobs, maybe daily for smaller ones) and check as they go.

It saves everyone a lot of headache, makes sure the bar is set early on, and avoids hard feelings at the end.

Yes, you gave them a 600 page spec to read that you know inside out, since it's your plant. They're probably working on several jobs at a time with big and conflicting specs, it's easy to miss details.

Again, not defending dishonest or lazy contractors, but good outcomes require effort from both sides.