1734-AENT Point IO shutdown modules fault

Valeri95

Hey guys, got a little situation here which i am not sure if its something viable.

We are using a 16 slot chassis with 7 IB8 input cards and 8 OB8E output cards. The 7 last output cards are powered by the DC power supply expansion module and power contactors in order to drive some motors which do not need drives in this situation.

When the safety relay is engaged, it cuts power to the expansion module effectively shutting down the output cards that drive the motors. The safety reset relay is powered by the output card directly to the left of the expansion module so it stays on.

The issue I am getting is that the 1734-AENT falls into a fault status code 16#0010 which makes sense as it does not see all the modules designated by the chassis size anymore.

Is there any way to make this configuration work or does those modules being shut down will always cause the Point IO to fault out?

Welcome to the forum!

You should be using an FPD to cut power. This cuts power to the outputs of the cards, but not to the bus itself.

Alternatively you could potentially inhibit "fault under card fault", but that would be a hack, and I would not recommend it.

Welcome to the forum!

You should be using an FPD to cut power. This cuts power to the outputs of the cards, but not to the bus itself.

Alternatively you could potentially inhibit "fault under card fault", but that would be a hack, and I would not recommend it.
Thank you, long time lurker.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, reading through the documentation for it makes a lot more sense than cutting off power to the bus. I will see to get one ordered right away!