Messaging from Controllogix to PLC 5 - issue

EICS

I am having trouble messaging from a Control Logix L61 (Version V18) CPU over Ethernet to a PLC5/40E "Series F" (RJ45 on-board) Processor - which is one of the last series of this family so should work as its done in same plant on another PLC5.

the message is a "Typed Read" in the L61 CPU reading 1 only integer only at N70:1 as source with the comms path as 2, 10.15.34.204 (Channel of Ethernet port on PLC5 with its IP address)to an integer at destination in L61 with CIP protocol

Data table N70:1 is existing in PLC 5

i have copied set-up a similar set-up from a L83 CPU on Version V29.

i get a communication failure error 16#0001 ( code from memory)

would this be a compatibility issue with V18 and a PLC5?

any ideas what i need to try?

thanks in advance.

Your path does not look correct,
For L61 it should be:
1, <Slot of ENBT>, 2, 10.15.34.204

L83 uses front port that is why first two items are not there.

The path specifies the route from the controller to the target device. As mentioned, the L83 controller has a built-in Ethernet port whereas the L61 uses a separate Ethernet module.

From the CPU the message travels to the Backplane (1)
From the Backplane the message then goes to your Ethernet module slot (0-16)
Then it must go out the Ethernet port (2)
Then it is sent to the target device (IP address)

The other info you provided appears valid.

OG

The MSG will work without having to direct it to the backplane. If you click on the browse button when setting up your path, it will let you select the card you want to go out on and will use the name of that card if you have named it. My full path in a similar situation is as follows:

IO,2,192.168.1.1

Where IO is the name of my EN2T module. Then port and destination IP. This simplicity may be due to my firmware version as I am on 30 not 18.

The same is true all the way through the I/O config. If you were going CLX to CLX and had your local and remote ethernet modules but not the remote CPU then you might have

Remote_ENET, 1, 0 Where "Remote_ENET" is the Ethernet module in the remote chassis, "1" is the remote backplane, and "0" is the CPU slot

If you add the remote CPU then your path might just be "Remote_CPU"

OG

Thanks for all the replies.

just to be clear, i am attempting to Read an integer from a "Legacy" PLC 5 CPU with a "PLC 5 Typed Read" msg in an L61 at V18.

The PLC 5 ethernet is channel 2 at IP Address 10.15.34.204

my original post confused things, i meant to say i was using a similar Example from an L83 which is functioning correctly.

please see attached pics

- MSG instruction in L61 CPU ( 3 Windows)

- N70:1 Data table in PLC 5 at 10.15.34.204 (Channel 2 is Ethernet port)

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks so much for those details !

As previously posted, the CIP Communication Path in the 1756-L61 program you are showing in your screenshots is incorrect.

You need to have the CIP "hop" to an Ethernet module in its chassis before the "2, 10.15.34.204".

You can browse to that module, or just enter "1, S" where S is the Slot number of the 1756-ENBT/EN2T/EN3T/EN4T.

Remember that the slots in a 1756 chassis are numbered starting at 0.

If you had a 1756-ENBT in Slot 5, the correct CIP Path in the MSG instruction configuration would be "1, 5, 2, 10.15.34.204".

As Contr_Conn mentioned, the 1756-L8x controllers have an Ethernet port built into them, so they don't need to have that "hop".

When you enter that first "hop" manually, the software will generally replace it with the Name of your 1756 Ethernet module, from the IO tree.

Last edited:
The path is most definitely wrong. The error message supports that. Post #4 details the way the path should be identified.

FYI, the channel # for the PLC-5 doesn't matter to the CLX. It doesn't know or care.

OG

EDIT: Ken was quicker!