Connecting AB PowerFlex 525 to Leeson Capacitive Start Motor?

DerekG_RIT

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and relatively new to PLC have had a few college courses. I am now working on my Masters Capstone Project and am trying to control a old Lesson (See attached Pic for Name-Plate of motor) capacitive start motor with a AB Powerfelx 525 (See attached pic for serial number of Powerflex).

I have a few questions,

Is this possible?

I follow the General Grounding Requirements from AB from the 525 Powerflex manual, but I continue to get a Grounding Fault whenever I power on the motor and the 525 together. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
DG

LeesonNamePlate.jpg ABPowerflex525Serial.jpg

The motor is a single-phase device (hence the capacitor start descriptor in your post). The PowerFlex drive puts out three-phase. The two are not compatible. You need a three-phase motor if you are to control speed and direction with with a variable frequency AC drive.

Yeah looks like you may have to buy a 0.5 horsepower 230V three phase motor if you want to use the PF525. AutomotionDirect has some for around $100.