How to upload/download SLC 5/04 programs

Madnoob

Hi,
I am trying to connect to a 1747-L542 (also an L543) via RS232.
I am using a desktop PC running windows 7 and RSLinx Classic and RSlogix installed. The PC has a native serial port in the back.
I am using a 3meter long DB9-DB9 null modem cable with a pinout similar to a 1747-CP3 that has this pin connections:

1st 2nd
DB9 DB9

1 - NC
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - 6
5 - 5
6 - 4
7 - 8
8 - 7
9 - NC

I also have a CompactLogix 1769-L32E and using the same configuration as above, i can connect to it, see the HW config and upload the program inside.
But when I connect to the 5/04 (any of the 2) and I try adding a new DF1 driver in RSLinx I get the error in the attached foto. What am I doing wrong?? The 5/04s were used in a factory and presumably they were working before.

rslinx 1.PNG

You used auto-configure to try and connect ?

Try to manually set
Device: SLC-Ch0
Baudrate: 19200
Parity: None
Error checking: CRC

These are the default factory settings for the SLC5/04 CPU.

The 5/04s were used in a factory and presumably they were working before.
So you dont need to retain an eventual old program ?

Try to reset the memory:
Remove the memory module if it is installed.
Short VBB-Gnd for 10 seconds.

The serial port should then be set to the factory settings mentioned above.

Note that the SLC serial port may be configured for a different protocol such as DH485. Plenty of other threads such as http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=82111 and http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=120283 you can look at for discussion of that.
I read about this situation. I kind of want to save the program inside the CPUs if I can. I will check the topics you linked. Thanks!

So the cable I used is ok!? It does work on the 1769-L32E...

@JesperMP : yes I used the default parameters. I just clicked the Auto-Configure button.
I would like to try and connect to the CPUs a little more before resetting.

I am a complete beginner with Rockwell PLCs!
I have access to a 1761-NET-ENI and a 1761-NET-AIC also. Could I use them to connect to the 5/04s via ethernet instead...?
Thanks again!

So the cable I used is ok!? It does work on the 1769-L32E...
It's been a long time since I used anything other than an actual AB 1747-CP3 cable, but I seem to recall that a standard null modem cable as you describe would work.

@JesperMP : yes I used the default parameters. I just clicked the Auto-Configure button.

JesperMP is suggesting that rather than touching the auto-configure, you enter the default values he provided and just hit OK. If these were new CPUs just out of the box this would be the first thing to try, and it's a decent idea even with a used one.

I have access to a 1761-NET-ENI and a 1761-NET-AIC also. Could I use them to connect to the 5/04s via ethernet instead...?
Thanks again!

While I believe the 1761-NET-ENI allows ethernet from PC to RS232 on SLC side (never done it myself), it likely won't help here for the simple reason that you'd need the SLC side set up for DF1 communication with known settings... and if you have that and a serial cable/port then you don't need the -ENI.

As a quick and easy thing to check, look at the indicator light for RS232 on the SLC with nothing connected to the port. If it's got a steady blink then it's almost certainly configured for DH485 and you'll likely need a 1747-UIC device to connect (there used to be a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver that you could use if you had an actual serial port, but that hasn't been available or supported in a quite some time now).

Some confirmations and affirmations:

Yes, the cable is OK.

If the cable works on a CompactLogix Channel 0 serial port, it will also work on an SLC-5/0x controller Channel 0 serial port.

Yes, the computer is OK.

If the computer serial port and the RSLinx driver using that COM port work with the CompactLogix, they will also work with the SLC-5/0x.

The SLC-5/04 probably has the serial port configured for ASCII, Modbus, DH485, or Disabled. Or, a variant of DF1 other than DF1 Point to Point.

The Auto-Configure often works well, especially with built-in serial ports on your PC. But it's not perfect, and I do recommend using the default SLC-5/0x DF1 Channel 0 settings posted above (19200, 8/N/1 serial framing, CRC error checking, SLC/MicroLogix Device Type).

As posted above, another straightforward diagnostic is to disconnect cables from the Channel 0 serial port and watch the RS-232 status LED. If it flashes slowly (1/sec) then the port is configured for Data Highway 485 protocol.

Connecting to a port configured for that protocol requires a purpose-built USB/serial device called a 1747-UIC or an ancient 1747-PIC driver in Windows (even XPSP3 requires a patch, Win 7/8/Vista/10 won't support it at all).

Also as posted above, the foolproof way to connect is also the most expensive: find a 1747-U2DHP and connect using DH+, which is a very easy out-of-the-box network with only two configuration parameters (Station # and Data Rate) to vary.

Last edited:
Hello again,
I tried the serial port settings suggested by @JesperMP and @KenRoach without using the Auto-Configure option and I get the attached error in RSLogix 500 (please see photo).
Then I checked the RS232 LED after disconnecting the channel 0 cable and yes...it blinks slowly (about once every 3 sec). So as you suggested, the port is not configured for RS232 communication.
I would like to try one more thing before I reset the CPU like @JesperMP described : I have access to a Prosoft AN-X2-AB DHRIO gateway which theoretically should allow me to connect to the 5/04s via Ethernet -> DH+. But first I found that I need a specific firmware on the MicroSD card to configure the gateway itself for this particular task. I'll work on that for some time today and then I will reset the CPUs if I can't work it out.

Thanks again!

Capture.PNG

The Device in the first picture needs to be set to SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview and then it should autoconfig. I just tested it on a 5/04 my office has lying around

The Device in the first picture needs to be set to SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview and then it should autoconfig. I just tested it on a 5/04 my office has lying around

Thanks!
I tried this set-up earlier today and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure now that channel 0 port is not set as RS232. I am trying to connect with the AN-X2-AB DHRIO now but it's not too straightforward for me at least. I will eventually reset the CPU and try the serial connection again. I'm not rushing,it's just a learning setup for now.

I managed to connect to my 5/04s using the Prosoft AN-X2-AB DHRIO gateway and uploaded the programs on both. Indeed, the Channel 0 was configured as DH485 on both of them, hence I couldn't connect via the null modem cable.
Thank you for your suggestions!!!