OP277 and USB, hub doesn't work ?

userxyz

Hi,

I have an OP277 with 1 USB port.

UPS is connected to this port.

When I need to copy my archives to USB, then I pull out the UPS-USB cable and place a stick in in the OP277.

This works.

But, I've tried to connect an USB hub and connect the UPS-USB cable + the stick on the hub. The panel can't see anything on it's USB port anymore...

When copying archives I get an error, and I get the disturbed message of the USB port from the UPS driver.

USB hub doesn't work on panels ?

Hi Combo

I did not understood what UPS is !! When I googled all all I found: UPS USB Interface Cable Allows the monitoring software to operate via the PC's USB port. Does not work with CL Series

Can you give some link of this ??

I was trying to work with USB port in MP277, but without success.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=41676

When I need to copy my archives to USB, then I pull out the UPS-USB cable and place a stick in in the OP277.

This works.

I think you got the USB work through UPS

Thanks
Manmeet

Hey

The UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) is needed to secure the data.

After many many tests I now know how to log data and not corrupt the files anymore.

All my tests were on an OP277

All the logging is done on an SD (MMC) card.

Problem was: when shutting of the cabinet, the Runtime is not shut down properly, so I used the Siemens UPS that is connected over USB to the panel. I downloaded the option UPS with ProSave to the Panel. Before I downloaded this I got the driver error too. After installing it worked. The UPS is ment to shutdown the Runtime properly on battery's when the power is off. No more corrupt files this way.

I wrote a script to do a copy of the archives to USB stick:

Code:
StopLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Aantal_Complete_Cycli"
StopLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_AM_PM"
StopLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Machine_Daait"
StopLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_1"
StopLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_2"
CloseAllLogs 
ArchiveLogFile hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Aantal_Complete_Cycli", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Machine_Daait", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_1", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_2", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_AM_PM", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiAlarmLog, "OMTR2876_Stop_Oorzaken", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
ArchiveLogFile hmiAlarmLog, "OMTR2876_Systeem", "\Storage Card USB\Logs", hmiCopy
OpenAllLogs 
StartLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Aantal_Complete_Cycli"
StartLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_AM_PM"
StartLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Machine_Daait"
StartLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_1"
StartLogging hmiDataLog, "OMTR2876_Runtijd_2"

It does not have to be a script, but this way it's easy too see what is done when pressing the copy button.

When I connect an USB stick, I do not get any errors, I pull out the USB cable, place the stick, I wait a moment and then I hit the copy button, and, this works fine.

But, a hub is not recognized by CE I think... ?

PS: The SD card is not from Siemens. So any CF card should work in your case. A month ago I used CF cards in an MP277 to store recipes, I didn't have any probs... I didn't format them, so I'm not sure in what file system it is formatted...

manmeetvirdi said:
Hi Combo

I did not understood what UPS is !! When I googled all all I found: UPS USB Interface Cable Allows the monitoring software to operate via the PC's USB port. Does not work with CL Series

Can you give some link of this ??

I was trying to work with USB port in MP277, but without success.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=41676

I think you got the USB work through UPS

Thanks
Manmeet

Treasure found:

Problem was: when shutting of the cabinet, the Runtime is not shut down properly, so I used the Siemens UPS that is connected over USB to the panel. I downloaded the option UPS with ProSave to the Panel. Before I downloaded this I got the driver error too. After installing it worked. The UPS is ment to shutdown the Runtime properly on battery's when the power is off. No more corrupt files this way.

Combo can you break this even further to explain it in layman terms !! I particularly did not understood the underlined part.
Does it mean that Siemens UPS is connected to panel through USB port so as to give it power when power goes off????

I downloaded the option UPS with ProSave to the Panel
Till now I have wondered whats the use of Prosave !! I rarely (OS update) or never used it. But as said above by you I just opened the dusty Prosave went to the options Tab and wow something is stored over there, though I did not get the above mentioned option, but instead "Uninterriptible power supply (UPS) 2004.
Also when I clicked the Browse button on this window, there are add ons like MS_Excel_viewer, MS_Word_viewer, MS_PDF_viewver !! Wow great !!

Many thanks

Manmeet

yep

check this link:
https://mall.automation.siemens.com/BE/guest/index.asp?aktPrim=0&nodeiD=7010117&lang=en

ow, click on this link for more information, there is a beautiful image of this

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=40037&page=2&pp=10

manmeetvirdi said:
Treasure found:

Combo can you break this even further to explain it in layman terms !! I particularly did not understood the underlined part.
Does it mean that Siemens UPS is connected to panel through USB port so as to give it power when power goes off????

Till now I have wondered whats the use of Prosave !! I rarely (OS update) or never used it. But as said above by you I just opened the dusty Prosave went to the options Tab and wow something is stored over there, though I did not get the above mentioned option, but instead "Uninterriptible power supply (UPS) 2004.
Also when I clicked the Browse button on this window, there are add ons like MS_Excel_viewer, MS_Word_viewer, MS_PDF_viewver !! Wow great !!

Many thanks

Manmeet

Wow Great threads!!
Can understand now.

Ok is it recommended to come out of run time when power goes off, with no tag logging or alarm logging running in HMI??

Hmi

It's not needed, I wouldn't do it if you don't log anything, it's just wasted money then.

The only reason why I use an UPS is because the machine is logging on a memory card. If a CSV file is not closed, and the panel goes off, the file can be corrupted, I've seen this many times. The only possibillity to make the data trustable is an UPS in my eyes.

BTW: Siemens now has capacitors-UPS too instead of battery's-UPS, I've seen this while I was searching for a link for you.

manmeetvirdi said:
Wow Great threads!!
Can understand now.

Ok is it recommended to come out of run time when power goes off, with no tag logging or alarm logging running in HMI??

Alarm Logging into USB Stick in OP 277

I have a OP277 wherein I want to store the Alarm logs into USB Stick instead of doing it in StorageMMC Card.