Siemens S5 PG software installation

bdvsia

I have an old Siemens windows 95 PG, that is beyond repair,I have tried to install the backup S5 software onto an old windows 95 laptop PC, but the software will not Install, an error appears on the screen telling me the software is only able to install on a siemens PG, is there anyway round this, any advice appreciated ?

Sad as it is, but no, there's no way around it. In the early days, Step5 came in two versions: one for the PC and one for their own PGs. The PG version could be copied from one PG to another, the PC version had to be bought per PC. A PC version could run on a PG, the PG versions could only run on PGs.

Kind regards,

The siemens pg's (earlier type had built in dongles) also even if you had a field pg that was basicaly a pc (licence on HD) the disk supplied will not install on a normal pc as it checks for the pc type i.e. a siemens pg.
I suppose you could crack the install files & check where it interrogated the hardware but for the early pg's these did have dongles built in.
The early "DOS" based s5 actually was cpm it used a CPM emulator in the dos environment the S5.com file.