Setting up OPC server for a SLC500, won't connect with RSlogix OPC Test

BigTom209

Alright, here is what I know.

In the lab we are building a new OSIsoft PI system and need to inject some real life data into the machines for testing. So I got a SLC500 kicking around, threw a few cards into it and loaded

RSLogix500 2.57.0.0
and
RSLinx Classic Lite 2.50.00.20

Connected to the SLC500 via DH+ to a A-B communications interface box that converts it to serial to connect to COM1 of my laptop

Was able to connect, build a simple ladder program to bring in some switches and an analog value etc all is well I have raw data coming in and being stored in the PLC.

So, looking online I see it mentioned if you have RSLinx 2.1+ you can set it up as a OPC server, so checked and yep there is a option when I right click on the PLC symbol in RSWho, "Configure New DDE/OPC Topic" and setup a topic, default settings, saved/updated the topic.

Then I opened up "OPC Test Client", File-New, "RSLinx OPC Server" then click OK and I get an error "Connection to Server Failed. ~RSLinx OPC Server"

So, looked it up and found some common problems with DCOM settings so I went in and set RSLinx, RSLogix, and OPCenum all to allow basically everything it's wide open. Still the same issue

So I checked RSLinx and under the DDE/OPC tab I checked the communication event log and there is one up that says "Remote OPC Connection attempted on a none RSLinx Classic fateway machine" so that's odd... I checked also under the DDE/OPC tab the "Active DDE/OPC Topic/Item List" and the list is blank...

SO... guessing right now my OPC isn't up and running and therefore I can't connect to anything. But my question is what steps do I need to take or what software do I need to buy to get this system rolling? I thought I did everything right but I guess not...

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
If it's just for testing, you can download Kepserver, demo is fully functional indefinitely (for 2 hours at a time).

We use Matrikon OPC at other locations within the company so I'm going to grab their demo, fully functional but for only 30 days. I might also grab Kepware at some point just to see the difference

Thanks for the lightning fast replies, always great to get the answers within minutes of posting!

🍻

RSLinx Classic Lite provides only native communication services to software like RSLogix and RSNetworx and DriveTools.

The OPC Server function is enabled by a software license for any of the different functional editions of RSLinx Classic: Single Node, OEM, and Gateway.

For your test purposes, RSLinx Classic Single Node will do the job. It's identical to RSLinx Classic OEM but allows connection to only one controller. The part number is 9355-WABOEMSN and the price is about $300.

I believe that if you buy a new license of RSLinx Classic today, that it will ship with the electronic-only FactoryTalk Activation instead of the old diskette-based EVRSI activation. This may require an upgrade to a current release (version 2.56 is shipping today), which of course you'll get when you buy the license.

If you have only a very old operating system like NT4.0 on the computer (just judging from the age of RSLogix 500 v2.51) you may need to be careful about the activation mechanism of your RSLinx Classic OEM Single Node, because I think the current releases are only shipping with the software-based FactoryTalk Activation.

There are DF1-driver OPC servers available from several other vendors if you need to pare down your cost, function, OS, or footprint very narrowly. The one I can endorse is Kepware because of my positive experience with their other drivers.

An aside: The basic RSLinx program you're running is called RSLinx Classic now, to distinguish it from the FactoryTalk data server called RSLinx Enterprise. Most users just still call RSLinx Classic "RSLinx" and refer specifically to Enterprise when discussing it.

Have you tried OPC server for RSlinx from MatrikonOPC?

Honestly I did try it, was not impressed. I had even taken Matrikon course years ago since like I said we have some here at work so figured it would be a breeze, I honestly poked around with it for 1/2 hour or so and couldn't get anything to connect or work except for the simulator, so figured I'd try Kepserver since since everyone recommended it (And we also use this at some of the power plants at the company) and in probably 10 minutes it was setup, running, transferring data through to my OSI system... very easy.