O:T: Vmware Comms Issues

The Plc Kid

Guy's

I have vm ware workstation 7.01 running on win 7 ultimate 64 bit with a win xp sp3 guest. I have the host and guest on the same ip network 192.168.1.3 for the guset and 192.168.1.5 for the host. I have tried comms in every mode for the network adapter it is currently in bridged mode. I am trying to communicate with 192.168.1.10 which is a plc and of which i can ping from my host but not the guest. The host guest and the plc are the only devices on the network and from the guest /host to the plc is a direct connection no switch or router.

Can someone please help?

First disable your wireless connection. For some reason my guest OS always grabs it instead of the wired connection.

I'm running VMware on a host that is connected to a switch. I can ping the host from the guest, and vice-versa. Try pinging yourself - host to guest and guest to host. If that doesn't work use a switch. If it doesn't work with a switch I'd suspect an issue with the guest ethernet setup.

No switch - try a crossover cable between your PC and the PLC. While most new hardware is auto-negotiating I am not sure if the virtual adapter is.

Are the firewalls enabled on the host and the guest? That's generally a big source of frustration.

Verify that the IP settings are consistent between the 2 (netmask and gateway if there is one, netmask should be 255.255.255.0) Can you connect to anything on the 192.168.1.x network from the guest?