FactoryTalk View Indirect Tag Addressing

KolbLena

I'm trying to use an indirect address to display a value in the PLC on the HMI screen.
Using FactoryTalk View 6.1 I have a tag value of

{[PLC]ProductionList[ProductionIndex].RecipeName}

where [PLC] is the PLC device name
ProductionList[xx] is a matrix of recipes in the PLC with names,time,amount,etc.
ProductionIndex is the value in the PLC that increments after a recipe is completed.

I tested it with a fixed value of {[PLC]ProductionList[1].RecipeName} and it works fine. The problem is when I insert the variable in place of the fixed value. I get the message "Failed to resolve item's ID '{[PLC]ProductionLisit[ProductionIndex].RecipeName because it does not exist on any server"

I have tried {[PLC]ProductionLisit[[PLC]ProductionIndex].RecipeName but that didn't work either.

Is there a way to do this or do I have to go the VBA on screen open route?

Thanks for your help

No - indirect reference is not allowed. I wish it was.

Investigate screens and controls which use parameter Files and parameter Lists.

It's not exactly what you want but it can help.

I was afraid it was going to be a little more difficult than everyone here assumed.
Looks like it's going to be the VBA route then.

Thanks for the help

:site:

This might work.

I have this code running perfectly.

On screen 1 I have an input box tied to MSGData\CurrentTag They type in a string. Then when they press a display to go to a "Selection Screen" it passes like this:

display Selection /T{/DATA_Area::[PLC]$MSGData\CurrentTag$}

Not the $ before and after the tag. From there on out, {#1} is referenced as that tag above.

Try doing {[PLC]ProductionList[#1].RecipeName} where #1 is the value of the tag passed to a given screen and see if that works.

I'm a plc guy at heart so when I run into something like this I just do the data management in the plc. Use a fixed location tag in the HM Ito display the data and do the array dereferencing in the plc and move the desired array element into the display tag.
I have done something similar with blocks of structures for a roll-your-own recipe manager on a PV+.

Keith

Try doing {[PLC]ProductionList[#1].RecipeName} where #1 is the value of the tag passed to a given screen and see if that works.

Indirect addressing is not supported. What you suggest is a placeholder. The "#1" will be replaced by the literal tagname, not the value of the tagname. So, if the tagname is Recipe_Pointer, then you will get {[PLC]ProductionList[Recipe_Pointer].RecipeName} and this will not do you any good.

If you create tags (HMI) that are named 1,2,50 etc, then this will work, but not sure this will save any time.

James

I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP. That's unfortunate that it isn't supported. I guess I'm going to try to do it in the PLC the way Kamenges suggested. @Kamenges .

It's been a few years since the original post, so if anyone has any tips since then I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks.

I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP. That's unfortunate that it isn't supported. I guess I'm going to try to do it in the PLC the way Kamenges suggested. @Kamenges .

It's been a few years since the original post, so if anyone has any tips since then I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks.

Hi, I wrote this program about 3 years ago. It seems just like what Kamenges was talking about. The top 2 rungs are operator entry from the HMI keypad and the bottom 2 are values being sent to the HMI. The logic does everything and just writes it to a connection tag in the HMI numerical indicator. Hope this helps.

Recipes.jpg