Messaging

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all, I have a question about the MSG instruction in structured text. Is this doing the same thing as a BTR or BTW, in older software such as RSL5? Thank you.

While Block Transfers are not necessary in the Logix 5000 family, they are still sometimes used to talk with older legacy equipment, primarily in the PLC-5 (1771) style chassis.

The MSG instruction can handle different "types" of messages. That includes the equivalent to the BTR and BTW. Part of the configuration is to select the type of message from a drop-down list. The most common types are probably CIP Read and CIP Write. But the CIP Generic is common too. If I want to talk with older equipment, there are PLC2, PLC3, PLC5, and SLC500 Read and Write options.

And ST or LAD, it works the same. In LAD you will see an ellipsis button you can click to access the message configuration, while in ST you can right-click on the message tag name, and you will see a Configure option.

OG

MSG Types.PNG

Last edited:
While Block Transfers are not necessary in the Logix 5000 family, they are still sometimes used to talk with older legacy equipment, primarily in the PLC-5 (1771) style chassis.

The MSG instruction can handle different "types" of messages. That includes the equivalent to the BTR and BTW. Part of the configuration is to select the type of message from a drop-down list. The most common types are probably CIP Read and CIP Write. But the CIP Generic is common too. If I want to talk with older equipment, there are PLC2, PLC3, PLC5, and SLC500 Read and Write options.

And ST or LAD, it works the same. In LAD you will see an ellipsis button you can click to access the message configuration, while in ST you can right-click on the message tag name, and you will see a Configure option.

OG
Thank you 🍻