Connecting 2 PLCs on same network.

HoldenC

This is something I am a little unfamiliar with, so I wanted to see if anyone can offer any suggestions

I have a main PLC (Control Logix) that is running our facility, and everything is connected via ethernet (VFD's, Servo Drives, Point IO).

We also have a small Compact Logix plc that I would like to add to our network so that I can view information from it on our HMI (Factory Talk View ME).

Would this be as simple as changing the ip address of the Compact Logix and HMI and connecting them ?

Assuming you are already using the HMI with the CLX, just change the IP of the CMP to the same subnet as the CLX and then whip up a few graphics. Assuming you have ME Station, and display licenses.

Yes, I am already using the HMI with the CLX and I have ME station with a display licenses.

Do I have to set up Produced / Consumed tags for this, or is that only for PLC to PLC communication ?

Yes, I am already using the HMI with the CLX and I have ME station with a display licenses.

Do I have to set up Produced / Consumed tags for this, or is that only for PLC to PLC communication ?

You do not need (or want) Produced/Consumed tags. The setup should be essentially the same as what you already have, but point the connections of your HMI graphics or whatever to the CompactLogix instead of the ControlLogix.

Once you have the Compact on the same subnet. In FTME, you will need to create a 'short cut' to the CMP controller in the communication settings. Then you can browse online for tags to use in your new graphics. I have never used ME station, only SE. So I am assuming you can have more than one PLC connection. In the newer Panel Views, the basic model does not, but the better one does.

O I have never used ME station, only SE. So I am assuming you can have more than one PLC connection. In the newer Panel Views, the basic model does not, but the better one does.

That is correct. The Panelview Plus Compact and Panelview Plus 6 Compact (not to be confused with the Panelview Component) models were limited to communicating with only 1 processor. The standard and enhanced Panelview Plus and Panelview Plus 6 could communicate with multiple processors and could use more screens. When they release the Panelview Plus 7, Rockwell changed the marketing terminology and now the PV+7 standard is what the Compact series to be. Now, the PV+7 Standard is limited to 1 processor and the PV+7 Performance can communicate with multiple processors. It not the least bit confusing.