You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 16th, 2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Engineerj22
United States

E3 Plus and E300 Devicenet questions

Hello,

I have a company that uses e3 Pluses with devicenet that talks to the L63 processor over a 1788-cn2dn device.

E3 Pluses aren't being sold anymore and they just can't use Ebay (Steel Mill).

They can't easily upgrade to E300 ethernet because the setup uses the 1757-SRM redundancy, which means it cannot do EIP I/O control.

E300s do come in devicenet though, and can be put in E3 Plus emulation mode.

My question is if I switch one E3 DN with an E300 DN in emulation mode and set to the same node, would it work without downloading to the scanner? I can't just download the scanner, it'll shut down the whole plant.

I've seen the RA document on how to change the wiring from one to the other, but I haven't seen anything about being able to switch them out without downloading to the DN side of the cn2dn.

Thanks
Old April 16th, 2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Jim3846
United States

If the E300 and E3 have the same eds file and the firmware is similar, then you will have a chance of what your doing.

But everytime I have done a swap out with a very similar part and even the part is the same but the firmware level is different I had to get online with the scanner module thru devicenet Networks and make a change.

Can you download the firmware on the E300 where the firmware level is the same as the E3? I doubt this but try it. Probably make a brick out of the E300 or it wont let you do it.

So I would say by experience the answer is NO.
Old April 16th, 2021, 03:07 PM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What OP is describing is exactly why the E300 has an emulation mode.

To my knowledge it doesn't change its identity object; you still need to have set up (or be able to modify) the electronic keying. But the Assembly Objects are the same so all the same mapping and logic should work.

A high-availability system with Redundancy and the CNet/DNet bridges really calls for some pre-installation testing and examination.

The first thing I would do is use RSNetworx for DeviceNet to upload the CN2DN scanlist and examine the Electronic Keying for the E3's that it is running.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum