Bench Scale RS-232 protocol converter

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey,
We are looking at putting in a World WEIGH C300 Bench Scale. It has a RS-232 port, that I assume send ASCII data to a printer. We need to capture this data and historize it in our OSI-PI Historian.

Redlion has the ICM8 that is a serial to ethernet protocol converter, but is is only for Red Lion panel meters.

Does anyone else have anything like the ICM8?
In a perfect world, a stand alone device would convert the weigh data to a number, (integer with implied decimals or Float). and send via OPC or Modbus.
I could live with S7 connection or Ethernet/IP too.

I have used ATOP serial servers in the past, these were pretty good, I used them with some PLC programming tools & OPC servers.

I would grab a Red Lion Data Station Plus any day for this application.

Their drivers and the C-like Crimson Program language gives you fairly easy and flexible serial string data, parsing, and translation.

And you can then present it on a virtual HMI, or log it into a file, or present it as any one of dozens of industrial protocols.

I have been a Redlion fan for years. I have used the data station for protocol conversions, but never used them with strings. I think I will recommend we buy the data station plus.

I'm going to recommend a Red Lion also. I've done this application alot. Parsing strings isn't that bad at all.