Servo motor components for drilling project

One of our work projects involves creating a "peck cycle" on a drill press using a servo motor. The servo will be direct driven off of the drill press handle shaft with a coupling.

The cycle will be to have the servo rotate a certain distance (which will move drill spindle down to drill), then return to home position, and repeat this cycle approx. 4 times. Each rotation will increase distance of drilling travel (servo rotation).

Components in the plan;
Automation Direct Sure Servo motor + Servo drive
Allen Bradley ML1200 PLC

I am new to servos, have basic understanding of ladder logic/programming. I wanted to first make sure the components selected are proper for our application. I'll create another thread to review programming questions later. Thank you.

Servo components aside, I'm not really a fan of the ML1200. I never have liked a processor that will not allow online programming. The 1100 and 1400 both allow online programming and have a built in ethernet link that makes it easier to communicate to.

How are you planning to send the distances for each move from the PLC to the servo controller? Are you going to include an HMI to set depth of drilling?

Servo components aside, I'm not really a fan of the ML1200. I never have liked a processor that will not allow online programming. The 1100 and 1400 both allow online programming and have a built in ethernet link that makes it easier to communicate to.

Thanks for the input! The ML1200 was selected because it is what we have available. Ideally, I would like a ML1100. I can program that with the free Micrologix software (i'm pretty sure) and won't need to purchase software. Any good sources for a good price on a ML1100?

Thanks for the input! The ML1200 was selected because it is what we have available. Ideally, I would like a ML1100. I can program that with the free Micrologix software (i'm pretty sure) and won't need to purchase software. Any good sources for a good price on a ML1100?

Any price on the ML1100 would be cheaper than buying the software, this of course is if you can you the free software to do what you need.

Another option, have you looked at the Automation Direct Productivity 1000? This with a HSO card and a C-More HMI should get you there. How much you looking to spend? Here is a video they are using the Productivity 3000 but same can be done with 1000.
https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=E6sNCaGBoZA

Just one axis control and 4 stops
then why are you even looking at a servo
just use a small gear motor and 5 prox switches
1 Home
2 Stop 1
3 Stop 2
4 Stop 3
5 Stop 4
program is a simple 10 steps
you certainly don't need the expense or the complexity of a servo system
you could even do it with an air cylinder with flow controls
Keep it simple

One of our work projects involves creating a "peck cycle" on a drill press using a servo motor. The servo will be direct driven off of the drill press handle shaft with a coupling.

The cycle will be to have the servo rotate a certain distance (which will move drill spindle down to drill), then return to home position, and repeat this cycle approx. 4 times. Each rotation will increase distance of drilling travel (servo rotation).

Components in the plan;
Automation Direct Sure Servo motor + Servo drive
Allen Bradley ML1200 PLC

I am new to servos, have basic understanding of ladder logic/programming. I wanted to first make sure the components selected are proper for our application. I'll create another thread to review programming questions later. Thank you.

Hi, I'm not sure about ML1200 if it uses CCW. I would think one needs to be sure one has motion instructions in the software. I know most of the ControlLogix processors support motion. (RS5000).
One would need to write logic for absolute move instructions for the 5 "pecks" you're wanting to do. Which to me would mean an encoder.
+1 for GaryS. If the distance will always be the same for each peck, I.E. 1/2", 1", 1-1/2" etc, then the switch method he posted would be much easier and less expensive.

Any price on the ML1100 would be cheaper than buying the software, this of course is if you can you the free software to do what you need.

Another option, have you looked at the Automation Direct Productivity 1000? This with a HSO card and a C-More HMI should get you there. How much you looking to spend? Here is a video they are using the Productivity 3000 but same can be done with 1000.
https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=E6sNCaGBoZA

Thanks, I was not aware of the Productivity series. Definitely seems user friendly for programming. I'll have to look into the extra cost.

At first glance it seems the free AB software will program what I need. I need to get familiar with PTO functions.

Just one axis control and 4 stops
then why are you even looking at a servo
just use a small gear motor and 5 prox switches
1 Home
2 Stop 1
3 Stop 2
4 Stop 3
5 Stop 4
program is a simple 10 steps
you certainly don't need the expense or the complexity of a servo system
you could even do it with an air cylinder with flow controls
Keep it simple

A very valid point. An air cylinder system was discussed, and ultimately decided on a servo. I will review this again with the team.

You don't need a PLC with motion instructions. The Sure Servo controller can store up to eight moves. PLC outputs connected to servo inputs trigger the moves.
For example:
Stored move 1 - Rapid move to the point where the drill bit touches the workpiece.
Stored move 2 - Move at drilling feedrate to first peck depth
Stored move 3 - Rapid move to drill bit clear position
Stored move 4 - Move at drilling feedrate to second peck depth
Repeat stored move 3
Stored move 5 - Move at drilling feedrate to third peck depth
Repeat stored move 3
Stored move 6 - Move at drilling feedrate to fourth peck depth
Stored move 7 - Rapid move to home position

The positions and velocities for each of the stored moves are parameters in the servo controller and are accessible via Modbus.

You don't need a PLC with motion instructions. The Sure Servo controller can store up to eight moves. PLC outputs connected to servo inputs trigger the moves.
For example:
Stored move 1 - Rapid move to the point where the drill bit touches the workpiece.
Stored move 2 - Move at drilling feedrate to first peck depth
Stored move 3 - Rapid move to drill bit clear position
Stored move 4 - Move at drilling feedrate to second peck depth
Repeat stored move 3
Stored move 5 - Move at drilling feedrate to third peck depth
Repeat stored move 3
Stored move 6 - Move at drilling feedrate to fourth peck depth
Stored move 7 - Rapid move to home position

The positions and velocities for each of the stored moves are parameters in the servo controller and are accessible via Modbus.

I did watch the videos on AD that show the drive being programmed for different commands. I couldn't quite figure out how to get away from having the operator hit each button to trigger each drilling depth. In other words, how could you program a button to trigger the entire cycle?

You can define three of the servo's inputs to be interpreted as a command number between zero and 7. Connect those three inputs to three PLC outputs.
All three outputs off - command zero
Output 1 only - command 1
Output 2 only - command 2
Outputs 1 and 2 - Command 3
Output 3 only - command 4
etc..

Write a sequencer in ladder logic.
Sequence step 0 - Wait for start command. On start command go to step 1
Sequence step 1 - send command 1 to servo. On motion complete got to step 2
Sequence step 2 - send command 2 to servo. On motion complete got to step 3
etc...

I have a couple of single axis servo projects. One uses AB Micrologix 1500 with AB servo controller and Red Lion HMI on a gear cutting machine. Another uses AD Sure Servo with DL06 PLC and CMore HMI on a surface grinder.

Last edited:
You can define three of the servo's inputs to be interpreted as a command number between zero and 7. Connect those three inputs to three PLC outputs.
All three outputs off - command zero
Output 1 only - command 1
Output 2 only - command 2
Outputs 1 and 2 - Command 3
Output 3 only - command 4
etc..

Write a sequencer in ladder logic.
Sequence step 0 - Wait for start command. On start command go to step 1
Sequence step 1 - send command 1 to servo. On motion complete got to step 2
Sequence step 2 - send command 2 to servo. On motion complete got to step 3
etc...

I have a couple of single axis servo projects. One uses AB Micrologix 1500 with AB servo controller and Red Lion HMI on a gear cutting machine. Another uses AD Sure Servo with DL06 PLC and CMore HMI on a surface grinder.

I will look into this more. I like the idea of using more of the servo drives features, and then using a simpler LL program to control.