MicroLogix 1400 PTO

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello Everyone,

I have a new project that I will be working on over the holiday break and have never done a stepper before

I am using a 1766-L32BXB and DM542

Anyone like to share/sell their working program? right now I am just trying to run the jog feature and not sure if I have a controller issue, program issue, wiring issue or a me issue.... odds are its a me issue

I have both manuals and it looks simple enough but nothing is moving when enabled

Thank you
Mark

Did you configure the PTOX function file? You have to set the Output integer to match the physical output where your step signal is connected (i.e. PTOX:0.OUT = 2).

Hi Guys,

kolyur said:
Did you configure the PTOX function file? You have to set the Output integer to match the physical output where your step signal is connected (i.e. PTOX:0.OUT = 2).

Yes and I am using Output 2, I will post my logic tomorrow but I am just using a push button to make the TON go true and the output for continuous jog (JC)

Yes widelto, I saw that PDF but was just wondering if there should be more to the logic than what I have, seems to easy

I have a meeting that I am headed to but I will post more tomorrow

Thank you
Mark

When you enable the JC bit, does the JCS bit come on in the function file? That would indicate that pulses are being generated at the output.

I do recall that I had issues with the jog function in my application. The problem was that when you use jog, there is no ramp up--the stepper has to deliver full RPM instantly. In my case (using Oriental RK stepper and driver) this would cause the motor to stall out immediately with no rotation at all.

It's much better to use the PTO instruction, which can be fired with a one shot once the parameters are set. This gives you full control over accel, decel, and speed. The words you need to set in the function file are OF, TOP, and ADP. For testing, just set ADP to slightly less than half of TOP for a triangular profile. Once the PTO motion is started, it will run to completion but you can use the controlled stop bit CS to end it early. So with the appropriate logic, you could roll your own jog function that has the benefit of an accel ramp.

When you enable the JC bit, does the JCS bit come on in the function file? That would indicate that pulses are being generated at the output.

Yes I do see it changing, should I be able to read it with a meter? (the pulses that is)

PIC below so there is a better understanding, its a new trainer I am building, just a single axes and I am by-passing the limit switches, I just want to see it move in one direction or the other, but I am not sure its wired correct either

I will take a screen shot of my logic later today (I hope)

Thank you!

20201215_113555.jpg

If you have a meter that reads frequency, then you should be able to get a Hz measurement. But if the JCS bit comes on, I think you should have an output.

On the 1400, do you have 24v on VDC2 and common on COM2? EDIT: I see from your pic that you do.

Last edited:
Thanks John,

Here are some more PIC's of logic as it changes state and another of the wiring, I only have the hz at 1000 but I thought that should be enough to move it, should I see the output on the PLC LCD turn true when its on?

Wiring.jpg Logic before.jpg Logic after.jpg

I have never done any of this before, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. That being said, it looks like the TOP is set to 0, and the DN bit is set indicating it generated all of its 0 pulses. The ADP is set to 0, I don't know if you need to set a longer accel/decel time or not.

I was just comparing your image to the image on page 4 of the PDF that widelto posted.

Hi MikeyN

You do know salt makes everything taste better :)

I think (we are in the same boat) never doing this before, the TOP, the way I read the settings is that it was used for the enable/run so I thought since I only wanted it to jog that it could be left at 0, once I get a chance I will try adjusting both to see if that makes a difference

And thank you for looking!

Success!!!

TA DA!!!

Thanks guys, MikeyN, you were correct and the salt wins!

I added 2000 to the TOP and it moved... then I went up to 4k on the hz and its working!

https://youtu.be/abqqyAi2Bek

Now I need to change direction and stop at the prox switches :eek: