Network scanning tools

mad4x4

Anybody got a link to a simple network scanning tool that will return the IPAddress and machine name of all devices on a Network

Need to scan 255 addresses and work out which device is at which IP as the IPList has gone.

Need something that don't need installed (portable) and would run off a stick so that we don't corrupt the SCADA servers.

Can get a list of IPs with Batch script but really need machine names.

Al

Last edited:
Anybody got a link to a simple network scanning tool that will return the IPAddress and machine name of all devices on a Network

Need to scan 255 addresses and work out which device is at which IP as the IPList has gone.

Need something that don't need installed (portable) and would run off a stick so that we don't corrupt the SCADA servers.

Can get a list of IPs with Batch script but really need machine names.

Al

Angry IP scanner is portable and should do the trick

https://angryip.org/

Last edited:
If these machines are Windows 10, open powershell....

Code:
1..254 | ForEach-Object {Get-WmiObject Win32_PingStatus -Filter "Address='192.168.0.$_' and Timeout=200 and ResolveAddressNames='true' and StatusCode=0" | select ProtocolAddress*}

I use Angry IP Scanner regularly; it can run as a portable application or a lightweight install.

In some cases, any scanning tool you use will be detected as malware by intrusion protection systems.

"The system has grown and changed beyond what we anticipated and now nobody knows all the IP addresses" happens to organizations large and small, sophisticated and simple.

I use Angry IP Scanner regularly; it can run as a portable application or a lightweight install.

In some cases, any scanning tool you use will be detected as malware by intrusion protection systems.

"The system has grown and changed beyond what we anticipated and now nobody knows all the IP addresses" happens to organizations large and small, sophisticated and simple.

I was trying to scan my own network one day to check where something was as I'd recently altered a few devices IPs to organize them better.. well... I did not at the time know that the company I worked for used the same 10.x.x.x series network I did, so when I scanned the target subnet I wanted for my network.. I scanned THEIR network instead as I just used my work laptop which I was on right at that moment.. and hooked into the company VPN. I sent IT into a tizzy over that one.

Reason I didn't catch on.. even when the VPN was up I could access my local network printer that was on the shared subnet. I would have expected the traffic to be captured and sent down the pipe to a blackhole.

Slitheris Network Discovery does the job for me, even suggesting device type with a certainty %age.

Here's the output from a quick scan of what I have connected currently on my LAN....

EDIT : Missed the fact you were looking for "Portable", but don't portable scanners need Nmap ?

2021-06-24_222318.jpg

Last edited:
Angry IP Scanner's attempt produced the following results, all the "n/a" and "n/s" blank results deleted.

Compare the results ....

2021-06-24_224223.jpg

I use AngryIP for this.

BUT, it's not that simple. An attached network device is not required to respond to a ping (ICMP) or any other probe. I don't know how to compile a definitive list of attached network devices.

For example, a network device could be configured to respond to a telnet connection, but not a ping. So just have AngryIP probe port 23. OK, but port 23 is just the default telnet port, it could be set to 10023.

I think if you use managed switches (configured properly) everywhere you could do it. This is an interesting question that an IT guru might help answer.

For me, Slitheris is winning hands-down, but I don't think it's a portable app.

At least Slitheris can detect and identify non-pingable devices, like my Amazon Echo at 192.168.1.2

You takes your choice ....

Last edited:
Hi, i looked on the slitheris download section and it says a portable version can be created from the main app