Cable Identifier / wire sorter

jimtech67

anyone know of a Cable Identifier / wire sorter similar to this?
The EXTECH CT40: Cable Identifier is no longer available...

http://www.extech-online.com/index.php? main_page=popup_image&pID=184

image_CT40.jpg

I checked and did not find anything close, I thought maybe Fluke had an over priced one but I did not see anything there either

Same here could not find anything...

Back in the day I had the same tool but different brand.
Was great for conveyor work and the incinerators we wired.

Just pull the wires to the junction boxes and one person can ring out 20 wires at time.

Can't believe one makes one any more.

Last edited:
That's a strange thing to stop making. Obviously someone must have crunched the numbers and figured out that it wasn't worth making anymore, but this looks extremely useful to me.

Don't most multiconductor cables already come with the wires labeled anyways? Then usually maintenance team would add their own labels onto the wires too? Or maybe I don't understand the purpose of this device, but seems to me you are trying to match one end of the wire to the other. Or are you searching for a device that detects whether a cable is live or not?

Alive15
It's not for multi- conductor cable.
It's when you pull a bunch of individual control wires, motor wires or whatever to central point from the main control cabinet for example. You have say 30 red THHN wires that need identification..

Oh I see. Couldn't you apply power to one wire perhaps and use one of those circuit testers to see which control wire is live on the other side?

If traversing the distance between the ends is time consuming or difficult, that tool makes identifying the wires a lot more efficient for one person.

In my current role, I normally don't have a ton of wires or a great distance between terminations so I will use my Fluke on continuity check (with the beeper) and ground one wire at a time, find it, mark it, walk back and forth, rinse and repeat. The extra time I waste probably would pay for that tool after about 3 incidents of this procedure.

The Fluke CableIQ with an extra cable will do 8 wires. Platinum Tools TCA015 is much cheaper than the Fluke branded CLIP-SET cable.