VFD & Mechanical Brake

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious how anyone else has controlled a VFD driven motor
with a mechanical brake. I was using a PLC output to fire a brake relay
while also sending command to the VFD. Originally I was using outputs from PLC to also run the VFD but my new system I am designing all the VFD's are
getting all instructions via Ethernet. I was thinking of using the aux relay in the VFD set to close when the VFD is supplying power to the motor
(power flex 40, A055 set to 2) and have these contacts fire the Mechanical Brake relay. Any Thoughts?

I usually hardwire the brakes into an emergency stop circuit for conveyor applications.
It depends upon your application and what your safety risk assessment was.

I know on most VFDs there is a relay out that is used for the brake contactor. So wherever you mount the vfd, you would mount the brake contactor. The brake contactor Is usually fed from the load side. Usually the brake voltage is 480vac or rated to same voltage as the motor. If the vfd is local to the motor, the brake 3 phase is wired after the disconnect. The brake contactor A1 A2 is from the relay on the vfd. When the brake is engaged the vfd is enabled and on but not given a setpoint to go to. You should here a click when the brake turns on, then the vfd should ramp up based on below paramters.

AB 525 brake contactor parameters example

Number Name Default Changed To
P045 Stop Mode 0 "Ramp, CF 9 "Ramp+EM Brk"
t076 Relay Out1 Sel 0 "Ready/Fault" 15 "EM Brk Cntrl"
t086 EM Brk Off Delay 2.00 s 0.20 s
t087 EM Brk On Delay 2.00 s 0.20 s

Does that answer your question?

I have the Powerflex 40 not the 525, I will check the parameters in the 40 to see if there are any additional ones I need to set. But yes the Drives enclosure is close to the motor
and I am planning on designing it this way and not use PLC output for Brake Contactor.
Thanks

BRAKE CONTACTOR
A117 = ENABLED
P037[Stop Mode] Option 9 “Ramp+EM Brk” Ramp to Stop with EM Brake Control.
A055[Relay Out Sel] = Option 22 EM brake is energized.
Also program A160 [EM Brk Off Delay] and A161 [EM Brk On Delay] for desired action.

I am setting up parameters using CCW, is there a way to print out the parameter list?
I am new to CCW and have only used it online to program my drives before. I have never played with it to form a project. I just wanted to print out parameter settings. Easier than making up an Excel spread sheet. Just a thought

You should always have the VFD control the brake tht way if the VFD fails for some reasion th brake will be set ad hold the load
Also you look for VFD that hs proof of torque before releasing the brake

I just have a standard edition of CCW v. 12.0 and I don't see anywhere to print.
Do I need to purchase an upgraded version?

see attached.
when you go to parameters.
change your parameters for the drive.
save it
show non defaults
push the print or export to csv

does that answer it?

Pflex40nondefault1.PNG

make that screen wider. Its to the right of what is shown.
I am using same version 12 your using.
maybe its your screen resolution?

Last edited:
I thought it was the resolution since I am on a 43" monitor in my office but I opened on my laptop and I have no Print or export ?