Request Help for Selection of Siemens S7 1200 PLC

dkpramanik

Hi,I need to build a PLC panel with a CUP & I/O cards, the panel to be communicated with a remote (500 meter away) extension module station. I need also HMI at both stations so that operator can monitor and operate the process form any location at time.

Please suggest which Model/Part no.(Siemens S7 1200)should I chose for the entire networking.
1. CPU?
2. Extension Module?
3. Industrial Switch for networking?
4. HMI (9 inch), it shall have 6 months history, event, alarm backup?
5. Converter for communication between PLC panel and Extension module (500 m distance)?

Kind Regards, Dulal

Depends a lot on how many IOs do you need, what kind of IO, is it just discrete IO, no motor/servo, no motion control, no other devices over Profibus?

For the distance your best bet will be using fiber with a media converter from cooper to fiber, one on each end.

For the 500 m distance, a solution could be to add a Profibus CM to the S7-1200 rack and run the DP net at 187.5 kpbs.

Another solution could be to add ethernet/profinet extenders in a Profinet network, but that will be a bit more expensive.

For 500 m distance you need to consider preventing voltage difference between the local and remote stations. There should be an equipotential connection between the two, and maybe also a surge arrestor in the profibus cable.

Without knowing more about your application and the necessary I/O it is not possible to provide more precise suggestions.

Depends a lot on how many IOs do you need, what kind of IO, is it just discrete IO, no motor/servo, no motion control, no other devices over Profibus?

For the distance your best bet will be using fiber with a media converter from cooper to fiber, one on each end.
Hi thanks for your help.
- all IO are discrete IO,no motor/servo, no motion control. No other divice.

- In the main station have 62 nos DI, 10 nos DO, 10 Nos AI..
- In the extension station have 16 nos DI, 8 nos DO, 8 nos AI and 2 Nos AO..
- All AI to be with hart protocol. Standard AO.

Plz suggest.

I dont think that there is SM modules for HART in the S7-1200 family, you need to go to either an ET200SP CPU, or at least use ET200 remote IO for the HART.

You can get your IO count with an S7-1214C and 4 SM1221 that will give you 64 inputs, or 4 6ES7223-1BL32-1XB0 will get you 64 inputs and 64 ouputs, add two 6ES7231-4HF32-0XB0 for the AI(no HART support on those..), and you still have two free "slots" for expansion, but an ET200 based solution will be more flexible, and occupy less space on the plate.

I dont think that there is SM modules for HART in the S7-1200 family, you need to go to either an ET200SP CPU, or at least use ET200 remote IO for the HART.

You can get your IO count with an S7-1214C and 4 SM1221 that will give you 64 inputs, or 4 6ES7223-1BL32-1XB0 will get you 64 inputs and 64 ouputs, add two 6ES7231-4HF32-0XB0 for the AI(no HART support on those..), and you still have two free "slots" for expansion, but an ET200 based solution will be more flexible, and occupy less space on the plate.

I understood I should select S7-1214C(at main station) and ET200 (at remote station). I/O cards at both station as required!! Please correct if I am wrong.

One more question, what type of Siemens HMI and switch shall I select to control and monitor both stations form any location at a time. My client asking 9 inch HMI and should have 6 months history, event, alarm backup?

I would use ET200 for all the I/O, even though some of it will be next to the CPU. Do not use the CPU onboard I/O for a one off design - if an I/O point fails then you will need a replacement CPU as opposed to a replacement ET200 module.