Profinet reassign device name

Holmux

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

I have a few Movimot motors on profinet, where i need to change the profinet name on the motor.

I have been true this before, where i deleted the motor in my device setup, renamed the motors with proneta and added the motors again in my PLC.

I wanted to hear if anyone had a easier way to get around this?

PLC: CPU 1517

/Flemming

Right click and select assign name, and give them a new name, then compile the hardware changes and upload the new program to the plc.

Since you are using Siemens S7-1500.
Alternative to manually assigning the names, is to let the S7-1500 CPU automatically assign the device names based on the topology.
For this to work, the actual topology must be exactly as configured, the cables must go to exactly the ports specified in the TIA project. Also, all the components within the Profinet system must be Profinet rated, no bamboo ethernet switches !

Hi

This is in a test mode where motors are not placed in the right order so no topology, I actually never use the topology (Right or wrong ??)

But I fund a way that worked ok in a test setup, I switched off the PLC made a reset on the motor in proneta and renamed it, started the PLC and I was OK.

But if I would have to do this in a production invioment, the switching off the PLC would be a problem.
So maybe here the topology comes in as the solotion.

I actually never use the topology (Right or wrong ??)
Slightly off topic, but:

Whether topology config is helpful or not lies entirely in how much you trust the team to wire Ethernet cables exactly, and not randomly move them later. In my experience, this varies a lot from customer to customer, and sometimes even site to site within a company. It is possible to accept the real topology as configured for the initial setup, but then if cables get moved down the road, you'll get lots of errors that may not point to real issues.

If you use it, you get some diagnostics on exactly which cables are unplugged, and get extra device setup options (like assigning device names automatically). You cannot use Profinet IRT (often used for servos) without setting up topology for at least the drives.

Slightly off topic, but:

Whether topology config is helpful or not lies entirely in how much you trust the team to wire Ethernet cables exactly, and not randomly move them later.

This is exactly why I never use Topology :)

And the fact that it is impossible to mark the gates on 99% of the din rail switches on the market.