Studio5000 does not recognize iodd file

VFU

Hi everyone,

I have an application for an OEM where i am using a CompactLogix and an Ethernet Adapter (1734 AENT) that gets I/O link modules for the field devices.
I have an inductive sensor from IFM (IGC260) that will be used on the application however sdudio5000 does not recognize the IODD file. I did download the latest version of the file and once I add it into the IO link channel configuration I get three asterisks that once compiled is giving me an error.

Any thoughts?

ifm error.jpg

OK, so it's Studio 5000 (Ssdu-ssdu-ssdtudio !) version 32, and I presume the IODD is a recent download from IFM Efector.

The IODD version 1.1 for that device was created in November 2018 so there should have been opportunities for it to be tested or this problem to occur for others, but when I checked it with the IODD Checker from the IO-Link Consortium website there were several errors reported.

I managed to get Studio 5000 to crash on a "low application memory" problem just while trying to register that IODD. Did that happen to you as well ?

Once I restarted Studio 5000, I was able to add the IGC 260 and didn't get that ellipsis in the Application Specific Name field. Evidently Studio 5000 didn't have a problem with the IODD file.

Do you get a product-specific page in your IOLink configuration window that matches that sensor ?

IGC260_Config.png

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

No, I did not have any issue upon registering the IODD and did get the product-info page in the IO link configuration window.

What is happening is, I register the IODD file and save it, however I am getting
a error on my code. I am missing the tag element upon adding the device.

That does not happen when i add a rockwell device.

ifm error.jpg sensor info.jpg plc error.jpg plc ok.jpg no error.jpg

By the way, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I appreciate those screenshots. They clarify that you're not getting an error message from Studio 5000 about the import or contents of the IODD file. I think you're just not getting the enumerated tags you expect.

So that folks don't have to open the screenshots: you expect tags named:

RIO_1:2:I.Ch0Triggered
RIO_1:2:I.Ch1Triggered
RIO_1:2:I.Ch2Triggered
RIO_1:2:I.Ch3Triggered

But Studio 5000 complains that the third tag, "RIO_1:2:I.Ch2Triggered", doesn't exist !

When you put an A-B device into the IOLink configuration, that tag is created and does exist. It makes sense that "Triggered" in the context of an inductive proximity switch means that the switch is detecting its target.

I think that the tags which are created just reflect a difference in what the A-B inductive proximity sensor and the IFM inductive proximity sensor provide in terms of named data, rather than a blob of data where you need to know which bits and bytes mean what.

The A-B proximity sensor's IODD describes two input tags: "Triggered" and "MarginStatus", both BOOL tags.

The IFM proximity sensor's IODD describes a block of four SINT bytes, without individual names for the meaning of each word, byte, nibble, or bit.

IFM has a document on their website that shows the structure of the input data table of four bytes for that sensor.

https://www.ifm.com/download/files/ifm-IFT258-20181113-IODD11-en/$file/ifm-IFT258-20181113-IODD11-en.pdf

I'm not familiar enough with the IFM device to say for sure, but I think that the "triggered" status of the sensor will be what they call "SSC1", so it would be addressed in Studio 5000 as

RIO_1:2:I.Ch2Data[2].0

Last edited:
Hey Ken, thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

By the way, you were totally right. I did not notice the IFM device was creating its tags under my controller tags. That PLC input mapping was very handy as well.

The machine is running as intended so thanks again.

I have attached a screenshot of the tags created by IFM device into the controller tags so if someone runs into the same issue in the future that should be handy.

tags.jpg