OT: The funniest translation you've ever seen.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
On another thread a poor translation was cited, but rather than derail that thread I'm starting antoher. Most all of us have dealt with technical translations from one language to the next that just didn't come out quite right, and I'm sure that Engligh to whatever translations are no exception.

What is the funniest/strangest translation you have ever encountered?

We had a Taiwanese made lathe many years ago. The first sentence in the manual read:
"We hope this machine sincerely reaches up your needed." :unsure:

When I was starting up a system in a Japanese ship yard back in '86, they had their interconnects to my system labeled as connecting to "LOSS HIRR CONTROLS". The company I worked for was "ROSS HILL CONTROLS". The shipyard's head electrical engineer told me that the Japanese have problems with the english letters "L and R". He also said there is NOT a sound for them in Japanese and they tend to cross them that way.

I've been living and working in different coutries.
Some ten years ago in Stuttgart, Germany, (Mercedes plants in Untertuerkheim)
I've seen large signs on every corner explaining hazards (flammable, toxic, corrosive,...).
Signs ware in some six languages (German, Polish, Turkish, Serbo-Croat...) and about 4x2 feet.
Translation for corrosive in SerboCroat was "Drazesno..." which means charming or cute...
One would definitelly not use this type of word to describe corrosive or etching action
of acids or other chemicals on unprotected skin. (proper word would be "nagrizajuce...")
I was pointing that out to couple of other people and everyone was just laughing,
they said they liked it that way (safety first?). The harshest form of that word we
could come up with was "nadrazujuce" which could mean irritating, but depending on use
it could also mean annoying or even arousing. I'm curious if it's still the same...

Manual Confusion

Late '70s YEW 2505 power meter manual had the meter's wiring schematic labeled with the input as "Line" and the output as "Lord". The same manual had a BCD connector pin label for the output numeric value's "Sign",e.g +/-, as "Sine".

The only one I've seen so far came up on a Mitsubishi MAC-40 on a machine from Germany.

Batterie is over, it has to be changed