Process Control Advice

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
I asked a question before about RSView 32 and I think I should asked my question a different way:I have a process that currently uses outdated versions of RSBatch and GE/FANUC iFIX (SCADA/HMI). It is an FIC cleaning process. It has a PLC-5 for control. Everything is so outdated on it that I can't get any support for it. What I should have asked here before was, what would you folks recommend? It is a very simple process that uses heated Hydrogen and HF Gases to clean aerospace parts prior to heat treating/plating/machining. The HMI is an Allen Bradley VersaView 1700P (6181P-17TPXPH ser D, Rev B. I'm pretty new to designing a system like this but what I was hoping to do was to make this as simple as running the few recipe's we have from only the PLC processor, and then the HMI for the operator's and a second HMI in the supervisors office. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replace Obsolete Hardware And Software

Hi Ceilingwalker,

My advice to you would be to make a study of the hard and software being used. Document it yourself as good as possible.

And then in a second step create your own setup with hardware and software that you are familiar with, and that consists of standard / universal components.

By doing so you will master this particular setup, and since it will stay in use for more then five years, it would allow you to still find the same or similar compenents when they would start to break-down. :p

+1 with Frank.

Your requirements sound pretty simple. I don't see why you couldn't design this system with your favorite hardware and software (read: any vendor). But I think you already knew this...