beckhoff vs siemens

brambc

Hello

I've bought a cx5020 from beckhoff (this is an embedded pc), it's pretty easy to program this with twincat compared to step 7 of siemens.
I want to control this cx5020 with a cpu 315 from siemens because I have a siemens profinet network,
I called the people of beckhoff and explained what I wanted to do, they said it's possible but they've never done this before.
Is there anyone who has done this or maybe know how it can be done?

best regards
Bram

I have a cx5020 with I/O's and resistance measurement cards,
and I want to read and write these I/O's with the siemens cpu315.
Beckhoff says I have to do this on ethernet level because the cx5020 cannot work on profinet protocol. This is no problem but I want to know what I have to do, to get into the cx via the siemens cpu315.

yes I know this module excists but the problem is that I can't buy anything else and the support of beckhoff said it can be done without this module.

yes I know this module excists but the problem is that I can't buy anything else and the support of beckhoff said it can be done without this module.

I would ask the Beckoff support to back up this claim with a simple example.

And just because someone says it can be done this way, does not mean it is the best or easiest way to do it.

Is your 315 PN/DP?

Im sure you can configure tcp/ip or udp routines to siemens and beckhoff and make data exchange that way. It wont be best solution, but it would work.

Last edited:
Realtime IO's on ethernet without Profinet on a Siemens PLC is not possible.
Data aqcuisition with a sampling time of 200ms can be possible, but then you're limiting the data/stretching the capabilities of the system.

Unless you give a more detailed explanation of what you're trying to achieve, how the systems need to interact, what's necessary, what's acceptable, etc... we won't be able to give solid advice.

Why ?
Just spend one day of fumbling about with some cryptic code, and you have already spent more than what these modules cost.

In my experience, the boss never considers my time as an expense. And if I need more time to make some odd cryptic thing work, I can always come in on the weekend, I am salary, there is no extra cost.

Rarely is the long term view taken over the short term, knee jerk, cover up response.

If you are producing multiples of the same machine, I can see the point of reducing unit cost by doing more work up front. But for one production machine, I would want the solid, reliable, simple solution, even if it cost a little more.

I have bought this module (EL6631)and been to beckhoff to configure this module with the cx of beckhoff and the cpu of siemens, but they haven't found it yet.

I put the gsd file of the EL6631 in the step 7 hardware config, but I don't know how the word, Dword things work and how to do link this to in and outputs in Twincat beckhoff

Can anyone help me with this please?

Cheers
Bram

"In my experience, the boss never considers my time as an expense"

I have noticed this in a lot of places I do work with. When they compare our cost to what they think they can do it for internally, rarely is labor even a line item in the "internal" consideration. I quoted 2 weeks worth of work on a specific project to GM last year and they said "No, that's way too high" and decided they would do it internally. It took them a couple months to muddle through it with 1 and a half guys on the job. They ended up spending more just in living expenses alone to have the guy camping out at the remote location the machine was being built than what I was going to charge.

Most companies in general seem to lack a mechanism to understand how much a piece of machinery costs them. The bean counters always go with low bidder, and then the plant suffers for the life of the machine because of low quality engineering and cheap parts that constantly cost downtime and need to be replaced frequently.

"but I don't know how the word, Dword things work "

These things are kind of fundamental. Sounds like it is time to hit the books. Things can get messy when you try and build the house before the foundation is there. Dwords are just Words with twice as many bits. Or am I not understanding where you are coming from?

I read the books, I tried some different things and it worked out good. I just needed to get my data to the profinet module with Twincat and read it properly on my cpu.

Thanks anyway who tried to help

cheers
Bram